Piston cracked and went into the bottom end

mike11743

Feb 12, 2008
My piston overheated and cracked. I believe it went into the bottom end. Is there any way to get out the pieces short of splitting the cases. im not good with bottom ends. Is it safe to flush the bottom end with kerosene to get out all the little shavings?

Yes you can flush it but there is a good chance that there is some case damage.

I always say to split and investigate.

Yup

Only way to be sure is split the sucker. Short of that, meaning if you have not done it, it's not a real begginer type OJT thing. You can fill the crank area with a thin oil or K1. If it drains right off you got a hole or the seals are shot. If it doesn't drain over night, you may want try to put new upper crap on. No gaurantee there isn't a crack or small leak, but beats fubaring the whole motor if you don't know what you are doing and can't afford to pay someone that does.

Bad place to be. Post up if we can further help.

Good luck, I hope you can get lucky!!I:I

A

when the engine siezed...did u try to kick it again or was it completly locked up?.....because if it was locked up and u didnt try to kick it...u might be lucky....i dropped the skirt on mine and i was able to flush it out without anyother damages to the lowerend but it depends....i guess i was lucky but let us know good luck

I flushed mine with no problems. I had a bunch of little pieces. I flushe it about 20 time though with PB Blaster and then carb cleaner. I have had no problems.

i had the same thing happen piece of the piston put a nickel sized hole in the lower cases if it did i found new motor on ebay cheaper than fixing the old one

The motor never siezed up. I was riding in like 3rd gear pinned, and heard a grinding. I rode it home with no problems, other than it was running bad. When i pulled the top end off, some of the piston was missing, so my guess is it went into the bottom end. It still had 124lbs of compression, but the rings were melted to the piston, and the piston was cracked. If i had case damage, wouldnt there be a puddle of oil on thedriveway where the quad has been sitting for the last couple weeks.

not if it all ran out while you where riding it back to your house after it happened!

i had a piston explode in my stock motor once didn't hurt the cases i rode home before it quit i had have the piston gone. i just took an old one that was in prefect shape slaped it back together once the bottom end was cleaned out an rode it for the rest of the day. so you might be okay but who knows

so i guess i have no case damage because I drained a lot of oil out of it. It was all white and chalky. I had just changed the oil right before that ride too. I guess the next thing to do is clean the bottom end while I am wiating for my piston to come.

I got a couple questions. I measured my piston with my digital mirocmeter and it reads about 65.5 mm. I thought stock was 66 mm? Also the reason for the top end blowing up was that the quad overheated. Is a 240 main jet too small for a stock motor with DG pipe, airbox vents, and a nice clean aftermarket filter? Could this be why it overheated. What is a good jet to run with these mods, and what clip should the needle of the carb be on?

With rings it should measure close to 66mm.

try a 260 main jet and the jet needle at the 2nd clip,third clip if you had reeds other than stock,like boysen's or v-force.