PipeShootout from 1996 with dyno!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its too bad all the blaster Hq info was lots. We spents years working with engine, chassis and exhaust manufacturers and builders and pro racers like TSR and phragle ...
YEARS ago when i was moderator for blasterhq we along with trusa, Nacs, cp customs, trenga and a few others put together dyno results from all the mentioned pipes except the alien.
Stock , DG, fmf sst , fmf gnarly, vitos fat pipe, bills, pc, LRD, toomey .. the ones we had results for we used to compare. So left some right hand bends.
We spent weeks tuning with jet kits and oe jets, airbox on and off etc.
First off there is nothing wrong with the stock pipe it had a wide power curve and makes just about as much power as fmf gold, pro circuit and DG. DG was within 1hp but a wider power curve then stock specifically made for scrambles and trails... because its a mid range pipe it didn't have that "hit" that the narrower power band fmf did even though they made the same over all hp.
Over all the best pipes tested were the FMF sst and Toomey.
Although they were not the very highest PEAK hp the toomey and sst had the widest most usable power curve with the most usable torque. All while within 1 hp or less of the most powerful pipe.
What this means is while the higher hp pipe makes more peak hp the pipe like the Toomey makes more hp throughout the rpm curve.. in a drag race or up a hill climb. The wider power curve pipe will be several bike lengths ahead before the other pipe is making power.

The one fact we did find was right or left bend made no difference. Its the overall dimensions, taper , length and stinger dia that makes power. Not what side of the engine it sits on.
The worst pipe was the pipe Trenga
The most unique was the adjustable LRD. after the results i bought an LRD for my honda ATC.

Its funny how many pipe companies stopped making pipes for the Blaster.

Im running the stock pipe simply because im running stock carb, a +3 stroker stuffer crank, 3° timing advanced, head milled and super stock piston.. its built as a midrange trail bike... Tons of torque and power for trails, hills and mud. Adding a pipe that moves the power curve higher taking away from the mid range defeats the purpose of these modifications.

Last edited: