Pipe Design

Rubbersalt

Feb 3, 2011
wichita Kansas
Looks like I'll be build an exhaust pipe for my friends blaster soon. I've done plenty of math/research/made a pipe before on my yt175 with good results.

So, I decided I'd share with the world, some of the information. Everything is going to be based off of my brother, N8tsNastyBlasty's Port design.

So before i post up pics, I'll mention something I noticed with all blasters. It's a stretch to reach 35hp without big bore/stroking. Most dyno's i see are 30-35hp. My program has estimated power ratings relative to displacement/rpm/compression. It's a little of a stretch to reach 52HP with a 200cc engine runnin 10,500rpm. The biggest factor is heat, at 52hp with 10500 on a 200cc engine, your looking at exhaust temps close to 712c. This probably doesn't mean much until you realize the blaster shouldn't push over 500c. When the exhaust temps are high, so are the piston, cylinder, rod, and everything else . To much heat and you'll seize your piston(you can get them thermally coated). I have a feeling that the cooling fins on my brothers and my friends blasters will have the cooling fins extended... So, with all that being said, I'm going to toss up a couple of ideas.

First is first, A drag racing pipe set up that is good for drag racing and then COOLING DOWN, it will be so much heat, you can only run short runs.

!!!All designs are for ported engines!!!

Peak power produced at 10,500RPM, 36mm Carb recommended, 50HP peak, narrow power band. 160PSI comp
pipe10500rpmmidtop196ex.png

The next pipe is more of what I would consider a trail pipe. It's got a very very wide power band that peaks at 8500rpm. It's setup with no triple port exhaust, but a port timing of 185exhaust and 125 transfers. Port/pipe are set to the target RPM range. 30mm Carb recommended. Low heat, 475C. 135psi comp
8500rpmtorquepipe185exh.png

This next pipe is for Nate, Set up for his port job(triple ports, ect), his peak RPM, and a nice Wide power band. Heat is on the brink of 500C. 145psi comp
pipe10500rpmmidtop196ex.png

Last edited:
Reactions: blasterfreek30
Wow dude deffinately looks like you know what your doing. Good idea on extending the fins. Never thought of that. I really like thos graphs too. Maybe start a business with these custom pipes? Bet you'd get good business.

I'm going to repost this in the "engine" part of the forum, i was click happy and ended up int he wrong section.. lol

!!!This thread can be deleted!!!

Last edited:
thats some good stuff, the biggest problem i see is keeping those diameters and lengths while twisting and turning the pipe into the shape needed to fit into our frames, without adding or losing cone length
unless of course these will be out of frame drag style pipes ????

thats some good stuff, the biggest problem i see is keeping those diameters and lengths while twisting and turning the pipe into the shape needed to fit into our frames, without adding or losing cone length
unless of course these will be out of frame drag style pipes ????

kinda like the same pipe on paulie b's blasty...almost the same design as salts

His program accounts for bends and i believe it prints out exact templates.it runs the pipe through a hole sh*t load of simulations and comes up with the best design possible.

thats awesome that it prints out templates...i just might be in contact with ya guys about it...i would love to make my own pipe designed around my motor specs...u would just need port durations, times and blowdowns correct?

I have a handful of programs, but my favorite is definitely 2 stroke wizard. The pipe's it designs are nice, but not the 1s i use.

I let 2 stroke wizard do it's magic then recalculate the header and the fat part. The header on 2 stroke wizard is to big for these little blasters.

Your header pipe should be the same displacement as your cylinder. Wide and short=same cc as long and skinny. Now being longer would change the tuned length. You need to take out from the belly of the fat part what you ad to the header(in length).

Found the portmap i used on my YT, we got the jug off the blaster to start porting it. I'm playing with numbers and what not.

The YT and blaster have the same bore, ports are just as wide. Using them as measurements+calculations = what we need.
Piston rings are Wiseco at 1mm thick, guaranteed good until a hair shy of 10000RPM. I'm setting the pipe up to peak at 9500.

Exhaust port + triple ports come to a surface area of 1312mm squared. This is with 188 degrees on exhaust ports. I know i can go higher, but optimal flow rates for 9500rpm are at 188. Going to have transfers at 126, giving a blow down of 31degrees. Going to have a somewhat wide yet powerful power band to this bike.

Shooting for 37hp at 9500RPM, remember, this is a 68mm bore, not a 66. Once this bike is on the pipe, there will be no stopping it.

Been really busy lately, but soon enough, I will start work on this pipe now that I have my port numbers. Just gonna slap a spare cylinder on the bike, while we port the cylinder. I can get the exhaust all lined up. Program says 40.9mm exhaust flange.. I say 37-38mm.