Picked up another Blaster

DLStryker

Oct 18, 2012
Just got my step son his first 4 wheeler. So I gave my blaster to my wife for her to ride. That left me with my two banshees… on of which needs a top end and the other has ported, piped and carbed motor with +6 swing arm…. which gets zero traction on dirt.

So, I was in the market for another blaster for myself. Came across this hydro brake ’03…. bone stock. Still has oil injection and TORS installed. I like to find them stock…. never been reved out that way. Paid $700.

Now trying to see if it is in my budget to pull the motor, drop it in a cooler and send to Ken for a build. I might have to do the disassembly/reassembly myself depending on the cost. Looking to port, re-chanber head, pipe, carb and lighten flywheel

I wish I had bought the Toomey pipe Awk had for sale a while ago!! Now I have to pay $400 for a new one
P2small.jpg
P3small.jpg
…. Grrrr!!

Attachments

• P1small.jpg
    P1small.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 199
Reactions: Awk08
Pulled the seat off and saw a greasy mess!! Runs good though. Will pull the front wheels in the first two gears.

P4small.jpg

Last edited:
i can see it allready.... Cherry red gloss flak paint! with blue or white fenders!!! i would sudgest a full rebuild!

Looks great! How well does it run? Have you done a compression check?
Glad you asked. I want to show here how extremely off the Ebay comp. testers are!. Just for a test, I bought brand new and compared to my Snap On.. not eve close. Will post when I get a chance.

>>Update.. not a test I did on this unit. One I did on PW80 a few months ago>>

A quality tester is a must! Some of the less expensive models can and will give "not so accurate" readings. However it can be because of a loose schrader valve (tire stem valve) on the unit. Using a known "good operating and accurate" is very important.

A few things to get started with:
A "roller bearing" bottom roller.
14 40 sprockets. Both Renthal.. Steel front, aluminum rear.
520 O ring chain
Rear axle extension hubs..Banshee and similar wheel bolt pattern.
$320

P1.jpg

Reactions: Markblaster
The chain is the worst I have ever seen!! It's almost like it has an additional link or it's not the right chain. This is a full out adjustability!!
P1.jpg
P2.jpg

Why not just start out fresh and replace everything as a complete set? This is the correct way to do it and not terribly expensive. You'll also have piece of mind.

Why not just start out fresh and replace everything as a complete set? This is the correct way to do it and not terribly expensive. You'll also have piece of mind.

Look at the pic in post #9 sir. I have new sprockets, chain and air filter element. The pics of the stretched out chain is me beginning the process of replacement of all components of the sprockets/chain/bottom roller.

First pic is stock 13 tooth front sprocket on left and Renthal 14 tooth on right.
Second pic is Renthal 14t installed.

P1.jpg
P2.jpg

By the way, the flywheel in the pic, will be sent off to KOR for lightening sometime soon.

Wow that old sprocket looks worse then the one I removed off my bike. :eek:

KOR is the man for flywheel lightening. :) Got mine done. Super fast service. ;)

Rear sprocket installed.
View attachment 30267

Makes the throttle response much more snapier!. Engine revs quicker. Very similar to the feel when you add VForce reeds to a piped motor. Not more top end HP.. just when you are going through the gears... more snap everytime you crack the throttle open. I would not recommend the flywheel lightening for for very tight woods or rocks.

For MX, I like it. If you are many times in 3rd and grabbing 4th on occasion, I highly recommend it. I run a 14t front sprocket and my engine revs high.. so the above 3rd. 4th may be a little skewed.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeak47