Performance Advice

firemech21

Jan 22, 2017
Langley AFB
I am in the process of a ground up restoration of an 88 blaster and would like to add a bit of performance to the engine. Could I please get some recommendations for an exhaustsystem and reed selection that work well together.

I take it the motor is in pieces. If so, send out your cylinder to be ported. Trust me, a pipe/reeds will leave you wanting more very quickly. This sport is an addiction. Porting is the best bang for your buck for a 2-stroke.

I would highly recommend Herr Jugs racing in San Diego. Amazing work, and fast turn around. I've had Kevin port my banshee cylinders and a few others. Always a smile on my face!

Your exhaust choice will depend on your riding style and where you ride. IF you get port work, the builder will talk you through it and what they recommend.

While you're getting that cylinder ported, might as well get that head rechambered as well.

The motor is not opened up, I am working more on the chassis and suspension currently. The motor starts right up and runs well, but its completely stock hence why I was thinking reeds and exhaust system. If I even start to open the engine it will get bored and stroked out, but I'd like to wait until rebuild time for that.

<DEEP SIGH>
There are tons of stuff written in the back pages on how to make power, but here it is:
Start with everything in good mechanical condition. If it is worn or missing, replace it.
Read Gordon Jennings book before you start: http://www.amrca.com/tech/tuners.pdf
Send your head off to an expert to be rechambered.
(Ken and Joe have great reputations here)
Set the squish to about 0.030".
Raise the exhaust port 1mm doing a nice blend. Don't remove too much metal.
Open the lid on the airbox with some holes to the area to that of a 26mm circle. Not much.
Learn about reading plug ("Plug Chop") and jet your carb.

Do this and you will have added about 10 HP or more for about $100.

Stroker cranks, big bore kits, pipes, iridium plugs, boost bottles, water cooled heads and big carbs won't make you this big of a HP increase.

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Best, thanks for the information. I was just posting up here for some recommendations after reading a slew of threads about exhausts and reeds.

Pipe choice depends on how and where you ride, give us a hint.

I have Vito's reeds in both Banshee and Blaster. Any dual stage is better than stock. Not many choices anyways.

Lots of options when it comes to exhaust, though I personally prefer Dyno Port and F7.

Track time and trails.......
FMF, DMC or Toomey pipe
Any dual stage replacement reeds on a budget, V-Force reeds for $