Parts Compatibility!

89custom

May 27, 2008
GTA, Ontario
Thought i'd help out people new to blasters.

First blaster was made in 1988 and from 88' up untill 2002 there designed stayed the same. EVERY PART ABOUT IT! From the engine, to suspension, all the same, all compatable.

From 03 and up a few things changed! Hydrolic rear brake replaced the old mechanical rear system, so this also changed some mounting points on the frame for the resevoir and piston, brake pedal changed, carier changed BUT NOT SWINGARM! As well as front hydrolic brakes, includes different spindles, front hubs and then you have the new calipers and disks as well as cables and the master cylinder/brake lever.

88-02's Plastics remained the same but from 03 and up the front nose piece changed and mounted the headlight as part of it underneath.

Electrical! a few electrical components changed. Different CDI as well as a different wiring diagram with different wires so try to keep wiring split up from the 88-02s and the 03+'s to stay away from headaches.

03+ started welding the shift star onto the shift drum (this is inside the clutch cover side)

2003+ Blaster

06_blaster_blue_3.jpg

1988-2002 Blaster

blaster_1.jpg

So there you have it. Simple but effective.

If there was anything i may have missed that i should add to it, just post and ill put it in there

yes it should. there are may be a lot of members who are newer, or others who may become a member because of this...I don't really see how yamaha made such a machine, they must have been drunk lol, "hey, let's put a big motor in a tiny frame and put crappy brakes on it!"(1988-02) lol, then they thought they should ammend their mistake right before the thing went extinct...lol, j/k i love mine. This should be very helpful, because there are a lot of parts circulating around that are confusing...for instance i was unaware of the wiring change.

yes it should help a few. when i first got into my blaster, it took awile for someone to finaly say "dude what blaster do you have? 89. All the parts are the same up till 02 so dont worry bout years"

before that i was trippin balls over years because no one ever put a year on ebay n sh*t lol.

thats an especially good reason, goober @$$es on ebay dont think to post the year model it was removed from...they are better about that now, but still, it helps to know!