Pankz' First frame up build, yes...its another Blaster :)

Pankz

Mar 9, 2017
California
I have recently begun building a new blaster from the frame up. I bought this bike late last summer so that my fiancé would have something to ride with me. She wanted a "snazzy" bike, and I still have such a sweet spot for 2 strokes...I just couldn't buy her a newer thumper. At first I thought I would just buy her a rebuilt 2t ride ready.

I looked at a lot of 2 strokes. Banshees, trx250rs, blasters, and a couple of zooks. I was really surprised at how many well kept 2t atvs are out there! Long story short, I found a lot of options, none of which pleased the Fiance's color palette. I know your laughing, but she kept saying "just not snazzy enough." I did come across an 86 trx250r that was a really nice rebuild for a super sweet price, she just didn't like the neon green frame. (I loved it and still think about that bike, man that was a nice bike.)

So I approached her and said lets just do this, find an older beater and build it up the way you want. She agreed. I looked and looked, and eventually came across this running 04 Blaster with disc brakes all around (at the time didn't even know this was ever an option on the blasters), NEW sand tires, and it had this strange aluminum after market cylinder, a Vito's 240 BBK. It also had the airbox removed, a 34mm Mikuni sled carb SQUEEZED into the stock intake boot, which was clearly cracking from this, and a K&N filter (no cover !!!#@$%@#$%@.) It also had a JB welded case from a chain incident near the clutch arm. It also had a +6in axle, and a +6" widening kit. It really ran pretty good, but I knew things would have to change with this carb \ intake situation. Overall the bike was a score and I brought the back home and quickly found this Blaster Forum and started my research. This place has been indispensable, a wealth of information.

Here she is as I brought her home. More coming...

Blaster.jpg Blaster 2.jpg

A little rundown on how my experience began with this blaster. I mentioned the widening kit above, this is the JD widening kit that comes with tie rod extensions. Now these extensions they provide are of the mild steel variety, ask me how I know this. I quickly replaced the tie rods with ASR +3" rods with heim ends. Next day out with the new rods, that intake boot I mentioned gave way mid ride, creating quite the air leak. I Bought myself a nice Snap-On compression tester, and she was kicking at about 50psi.

So the project began. I dismantled it, took the frame to a local powder coat shop, and let the girl pick her color. This is what it looked like once I got it all apart, it actually had a pretty fresh coat of a nice blue metallic paint, but nonetheless it had to go too.

Blaster 3.jpg

While my frame was at the coater, I figured it was time to sort out what happens with this motor. I knew my top end was in need of some help, and my lefthand case needed a repair at the least. We opted to replace that case half and have the motor rebuilt by a reputable builder. I think every seal was shot, oil leaked from everywhere just about.

I found a new lefthand case for about 175.00 on Ebay. I waited, and waited, and finally received a RIGHT HAND case. With all the troubles I had, the seller let me keep this case for 80.00 because he couldn't get me the correct one either. So I bought a lh case from another seller and now had two new cases to send with my rebuild for under 300.00.

Well, SINCE were replacing the cases, I decided to replace the clutch arm, the shift shaft, sprocket shaft, and the kick shaft. Anything that stubs out of the cases right. This bike sat in the rain in the Pacific Northwest for 12 years it appears. Anything that could rust, is rusting terribly. She wants snazzy, shes getting snazzy. So, I bought everything we wanted replaced and we boxed it up.

Now who to send this to? I live in California, and there are lots and lots of builders to choose from, but I keep seeing this name pop up here on the forums, Ken O'Conner Racing. Oh wow, this builder rides a blaster himself and visits these forums. And look at his handywork, NICE. Who better at the prices he offers. Sold. Off to KOR it went.

Reactions: jus_me and Awk08
We loaded up the frame, spindles, hubs and made a visit to the powder coater. By this time I had already decided I would replace the a-arms, steering stem, and swinger. As I bought it, it was a STIFF, cramped ride. I wanted to make this a big girls bike :)

Here is what she came up with for color, its not exactly a candy blue (just a 2 coat, with the same powder), but candy always comes to mind. In phone pics it looks blue. With Fluorescent lighting on it, it looks green. However, in natural sunlight it looks quite purple. It is beautiful. She picked well.

Blaster 4.jpg Blaster 5.jpg

Reactions: Awk08
Here is the frame with a few things installed. Everything you see is new except the tank. Now that I speak of it, the fuel tank is about the only thing I have salvaged. I've kept the front bumper as well, just polished it a bit.

New banshee petcock + OEM tank lid. New pink FREEFLO swivel vent hose. New OEM upper and lower steering stem bushings. New brake caliper and all hardware, all OEM. Pegs for XFR nerf bars installed. Also note the KOR shock bushings installed. I bought a super clean 2004 400ex rear shock for this.

Blaster 6.jpg Blaster 7.jpg Blaster 8.jpg

New Lone Star Racing +2+1 steering stem in silver metallic.
New 1 1/8" Renthal Fatbar in titanium.
Streamline Reflex clutch lever.
ODI Lock-on grips.
New Nissin master cylinder.
New Honda 400ex throttle.
PRM baja grab bar.
Original voltage regulator and CDI Box, just cleaned them up pretty well.

I did not like my options for aftermarket throttles, too expensive or too Chinese...so I opted for this instead. Was about $110.00 for all the parts, and I got to put it together myself :) It even has TINY bushings that are pressed in for the lever pivot. Bike is beginning to get enough Honda parts to call this a Yamahonda?

One note here, I had read about this throttle fatiguing less than the Yamaha, I believe that is simply due to the super light weight return spring inside. That's the biggest difference I see, aside from it being half the size. The blaster's throttle return spring is pretty stout. Ill take pictures and compare if anyone is interested.

Blaster 12.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtysquared
This is a really nice build! The antivibe steering stem is worth every penny. It really cuts down test vibe going to your hands.

1 Question....Is the streamline clutch lever an EZ pull?

This is a really nice build! The antivibe steering stem is worth every penny. It really cuts down test vibe going to your hands.

1 Question....Is the streamline clutch lever an EZ pull?

Thanks Dirty. We are pretty happy with how it's turning out. I bought the stem to extend it, bike was just so cramped before...the antivibe was a bonus, I'm excited to try it out. Not to mention its lighter :)

I've spent most my time in the dirt on two wheels, it really surprises me how much harder an atv is on the arms. I suspect I'll wind up putting a stabilizer on it too eventually.

Not sure what your asking concerning the clutch lever. I have not used it yet. It is a streamline reflex pro. I can vouge for it's quality. It's built nicely with some pretty tight machinework. All aluminum, super light, and a breakaway lever. California made. I considered a hydraulic clutch but I have to draw the line somewhere. Even I'm not that spoiled, yet.

More to come...

Hydraulic clutches are awesome, but i I had to draw that line too! I opted for a ez pull. They change the angle of pull, reducing the amount of force needed to pull the clutch lever. Perfect for ladies, and people like me that don't have it anymore!

Reactions: jus_me
did you check the "control length" when ordering the bars ?
alot of bike fat bars don't have enough room for grip, throttle box and master cylinder.
That Honda throttle will help.

Hydraulic clutches are awesome, but i I had to draw that line too! I opted for a ez pull. They change the angle of pull, reducing the amount of force needed to pull the clutch lever. Perfect for ladies, and people like me that don't have it anymore!

I see, something I missed in all my research. Well the fiance is no slouch, she can ride my yz250 like a boss. Thanks for the info though. Noted.

Reactions: dirtysquared
did you check the "control length" when ordering the bars ?
alot of bike fat bars don't have enough room for grip, throttle box and master cylinder.
That Honda throttle will help.

I did not. Well sort of. I have the same bars on my bike.

With the lock on grips it all JUST fits. They take up a little more room than a glued grip. There's no way the stock throttle would have fit though. Thanks for the heads up. I probably should have asked around before I bought everything. You guys know exactly what works and what doesn't :)

I'll make another update today...

I'm a day late and a dollar or two short but here's an update.

First a couple better pictures of the Honda throttle and the master cylinder on the Renthal Fatbars. I tried throwing the Yamaha throttle on the bars in place of the Honda , and that combination would NOT work, the master cylinder is pushed beyond the bend. Maybe with a glued grip, unsure. The Honda throttle is substantially smaller making things work. If you look at the picture it also has a spacer of sorts that's part of the casting that could be cut off to allow things more room to move if desired. Also posted a close up of the Streamline clutch with the cover off.
Blaster 13.jpg Blaster 14.jpg Blaster 23.jpg Blaster 22.jpg Blaster 15.jpg