No reeds?

Berndog67

Jun 19, 2017
First and foremost I'm new to small engine work. Bought a beat up blaster real cheap. Replaced every bushing, bearing, roller, guide, brakes, tires, etc... Tossed a fresh motor in it because the one that came in it had a chunk missing out of the bottom of the right side crankcase. Of course with the new motor she won't start. Have gone over everything and all is good. The only thing I have found is that the new motor does not have those reeds. Both are 2003 motors, but the fresh one doesn't have the reeds and the intake opening is a little wider. Did a lot of searching but not finding much on why one would have them and the other wouldn't?? I'm fairly certain it's a stupid question, but I haven't much luck in research so far and my local Yamaha dealer is backed up with work. So I'd figure I would ask on her first. Thanks in advance for any insults or insights.

Attachments

• IMAG1313.jpg
    IMAG1313.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 204
  • IMAG1311.jpg
    IMAG1311.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 193
just take the cage off old engine
and put it on new engine

the new engine is missing the cage that hold's the reeds
use the other 1 off old engine.
it will not run with it missing.

You need to pull that reed cage off you current engine and reinstall on the new engine. Its a swappable part.

It will come off. Just don't pry it off, it needs to stay square and flat. Also that is called the cylinder, the head is what's bolted to the top of the cylinder.

Wow I feel stupid. The reed piece came out. Guessing it has been there since it was new, because I had to tap it with a hammer to break it loose. Now that I think about it, the carb did seem like it was closer to the clutch arm with the fresh motor. Thanks for the quick replies. Hopefully I can test her out on the one day this week it's not going to pour cats and dogs!

Reactions: Awk08
So it was definitely the reeds not being in there was the issue. She starts first lazy kick every time now. Of course the gasket couldn't be reused, so I used some high temp gasket maker and while i let it setup i trimmed the front fenders. So now it looks and runs like a top now. Thanks again for the replies.

Make sure you don't have an air leak around the reed cage...common problem . I would order a new gasket before you ride it again . They're only 6 bucks at the dealer . Hate to see you fry your motor because of a cheap gasket