No idle, stuck wide open?

Gustin12

Feb 18, 2014
I've finally gotten my 01 to start and ride again after sitting for a bit, but it will not idle. The carb is clean, and I've played with the idle screw a bit but will not idle. It did idle before I let it sit however. It still runs and rides though. But sometimes it will get stuck wide open? The throttle doesn't stick, I think its something internal. This sounds weird, but its almost like the RPMs are stuck wide open, and not the bike. It will be running REALLY high RPMs, but the bike won't be running balls to the wall. Any ideas? It only seems to do this after the motor has been warmed up, and I've been giving it about 3/4 throttle. It also only seems to do it in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. But I can't 100% confirm that. The TORS has NOT been removed.

That has air leak written all over it. Those are common symptoms.

Do a leak test, and find out were it's sucking in air to do that. Check around the intake boot, head and base gasket's, put the vent tube in a cup of water to see if it blows bubbles( for clutch side crank seal). You'll find something!

Do a leak test, and find out were it's sucking in air to do that. Check around the intake boot, head and base gasket's, put the vent tube in a cup of water to see if it blows bubbles( for clutch side crank seal). You'll find something!
Will do! Thanks!
Would that be the cause of my idle issue also?

I did notice not too long ago, on the left side of my case a bolt is missing, could that cause an air leak?

Quick question, went out to my bike today and was looking for some new gaskets I had just bought, and noticed the little bronze looking washers or so weren't installed! Wasnt my doing of course lol, but could that be the cause of it?

but could that be the cause of it?

You gotta stop guessing and do an actual test. Just looking at the bike won't show you where a leak is. If you don't wanna build a tester or order one from AWK, then start the bike, grab some starting/brake cleaner and spray around the entire engine. If it revs up at a certain spot, you've found it. But a tester is always the best route to go.

You gotta stop guessing and do an actual test. Just looking at the bike won't show you where a leak is. If you don't wanna build a tester or order one from AWK, then start the bike, grab some starting/brake cleaner and spray around the entire engine. If it revs up at a certain spot, you've found it. But a tester is always the best route to go.
Haven't had time to test it yet. Going to tomorrow, been working all week. I'm just throwing out some questions to try and eliminate some possibilities.

Okay guys, I found my leak. I had a bottom end bolt that was finger tight.. fml. Anyways, my bike will idle now! Hasn't gotten stuck high rpms(yet..) BUT, when I turn the bike to the right whenever its idling, it completely dies down. Only to the right, to the left is no affect. If I crank into the gas really hard, it bogs down really low then the power comes right back up. Still an air leak issue or?

BUT, when I turn the bike to the right whenever its idling, it completely dies down.

better get used to going left all the time then.

When the bike is idleing, pay attention to the wire mess under the tank. Follow the kill switch wire, throttle cable, etc... and see if any of them are chaffed, or broken. Take the front plastics off. It'll make it easier to work around and see.

When the bike is idleing, pay attention to the wire mess under the tank. Follow the kill switch wire, throttle cable, etc... and see if any of them are chaffed, or broken. Take the front plastics off. It'll make it easier to work around and see.
Will do! I'll let you know what I find here soon. Could that also be the cause of the bogging problem?

Alright man, I messed around with the wiring and decided to unhook the TORS(from the brain and the carb) it idles fine now, doesn't bog nearly as much(still a little bog) but now it revs really high off and on, is if the air leak is back.

Is the clutch side crankshaft seal leaking tranny oil into the cylinder when you turn right?