New jet...new spark plug?

Fred

Jan 4, 2015
Ok I rejeted my carb from 250 to 280. It runs pretty damn nice. At the end of this week I'm climbing Mt. Washington. What are your thoughts on what spark plug to run?. I live at 485' the mountain is 6283+'. I really don't want to start fouling plugs!
Thanks.

I not sure a higher heat range plug could overcome that much of an elevation change ?
I'd consider leaning it out with main jet changes as you climb ?

the only other way I can think to do this is to jet it with (6 or 8) 2" holes drilled in the airbox lid, tape them up with duct tape, then progressively untape them to add air intake (lean it up) as you climb ?
maybe every 1000 - 1500' untape 2 of the holes ?
anyone else think this would work ?

only 1 thing comes to mind at these mt washington question's
that seem to keep popping up lol:eek:
or 'efi' electronic controlled fuel injection
just messing around but have a look?
4 strokes will win over 2 stroke in the elevation game..:oops:

Use the recommended spark plug which is a B8es, if you use a hotter one you may suffer pre ignition and possibly burn a hole in the piston.

Awks idea of drilling holes in the lid would work , but you would have to start with the holes covered at low elevation and as you climb remove some tape to lean out the mixture.

The higher you climb the less fuel you will require in the mix..

Reactions: Awk08
Awks idea of drilling holes in the lid would work , but you would have to start with the holes covered at low elevation and as you climb remove some tape to lean out the mixture.

ah yes I had that backwards, edited the original to correct info

Reactions: Blaaster
I often get stuff bass ackwards. It's getting worse as I get older.
I don't know how Blaaster keeps it together so well. Castor fumes?

I had a mild heat seize on a long hillclimb the other day. Well warmed forged piston.
Mixture (jetting) was fine but a long hard pull is hard on an air cooled engine.
Was running in 3rd at peak rpm but not enough air to keep her cool I guess. Smokin' hot.
Something to think about when climbing the mountain.

I'd like to experiment to see if more fuel, oil or a switch to castor instead of the synthetic would solve this, but I feel incredibly lucky to not have any lasting damage. I have some Chinese bicycle engines that I experimented with on the same hill. The cast piston bike engines were prone to seizing on this long slow hill as well. I found a 24:1 mix of 927 castor oil worked better than the 32:1 synthetic in the 66cc bicycle engines. Food for thought.

Just walk up the mountain slowly and run back down fastly and leave blasty at the bottom with the engine intact. Either that or rent a pack mule LOL!

I often get stuff bass ackwards. It's getting worse as I get older.
I don't know how Blaaster keeps it together so well. Castor fumes?.
I am pretty sure Castor fumes and the lack of the mist from WD40 keeps my brain active....