New Dude

Is it practical to think I can rebuilt a 1994 Blaster for under $500

• Total voters

atljunkmon

Mar 31, 2018
Hello my name is Jason and I just bought my first 4 wheeler on facebook which is a 1994 Yamaha blaster for $1500, so yea no need to laugh at what I paid for it trust me, my friends and co-workers, already laughed more than enough for the whole message board! I had the time of my life for 5 mins before it cut off on me in 3rd gear and due to the fact that it only hand front breaks I almost went over the handlebars.
I am not sure if the guy sold me some junk but it is what it is. I have watched about 15 hours of guys on youtube rebuilding their machines and I am a handy guy that would love to fix my own machine because people laugh at me and tell me it's going to cost more to fix the machine than it's worth. I am kinda sad about that but I see the rebuild kits sell for like $300 on ebay and when I watch guys work on these machines on youtube and it looks kinda easy minus the porting stuff I doubt that I will try that part on my own but im sure I can find a shop to do the port stuff for me for less than $200 which I find to be decent to pay someone who has skills to help me but hopefully they only charge $75-100 for that porting stuff which I hope I might not need. So basically I am a hard working guy looking to have a little fun in between working 16 hours 6 days a week because all the older people I know tell me I need to have some fun in my life instead of just working all the time, but I grew up poor and don't know anything else in life but to work hard and be honest so this forum is highly recommended by everyone and youtube so hopefully I can get some help and get this machine fixed for about $500 so that I can have a little fun in my lif, because I went to a local dealer near my job and the cheapest new 4 wheelers are $8,000 plus dollors which is a bit crazy to me but I know it's a recreactional thing so you can't really put a price on fun but that's just way out of my budget.

I Think you could make a pretty decent blaster for under 500$ , quick tip tho , don’t go with any eBay cylinder kits or anything like that , they will not work, I have tried eBay pistons and eBay cylinders and it does not work . What exactly are you trying to rebuild ? The whole bike or the motor ?

I Think you could make a pretty decent blaster for under 500$ , quick tip tho , don’t go with any eBay cylinder kits or anything like that , they will not work, I have tried eBay pistons and eBay cylinders and it does not work . What exactly are you trying to rebuild ? The whole bike or the motor ?

Thanks for reply!! I have been looking on nothing but ebay for parts but it’s confusing can you please help me find the parts to rebuild the whole motor? Like all the inside parts so it’s like new again! I have asked a few local shops and they all say $1200-1500 and that the bike isn’t worth that. The reason I haven’t put it in the shop is they all tell me parts are going to be $700 but for it to be a $1500 Job that means they want $800 in labor. I don’t know I’m more or less in the budget of paying $500 for parts and $500 for labor. Please tell me where I need to look for the right parts! I want to repaint and replace all bolts and screws in frame my self but I’m willing to pay for the motor to be right!

This is my project!
D9E2273C-1977-43EB-8437-CD67EE99ECA1.jpeg

Attachments

• 85442510-79B8-43E7-B3DD-963399AE4DEB.jpeg
    85442510-79B8-43E7-B3DD-963399AE4DEB.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 391
Reactions: Awk08
Thanks for reply!! I have been looking on nothing but ebay for parts but it’s confusing can you please help me find the parts to rebuild the whole motor? Like all the inside parts so it’s like new again! I have asked a few local shops and they all say $1200-1500 and that the bike isn’t worth that. The reason I haven’t put it in the shop is they all tell me parts are going to be $700 but for it to be a $1500 Job that means they want $800 in labor. I don’t know I’m more or less in the budget of paying $500 for parts and $500 for labor. Please tell me where I need to look for the right parts! I want to repaint and replace all bolts and screws in frame my self but I’m willing to pay for the motor to be right!
https://www.motosport.com/hot-rods-complete-top-bottom-end-kit-2stroke

That right there is a complete kit to rebuild the whole motor for 400$ , hot rods is great quality too so it will last a very long time

If you also were thinking on replacing transmission you could probably find one barely used on eBay for less than 100$

Check the cases over for holes, pull jug and look at the piston also check crank bearing and make sure there's no play up and down then report back if all is good buy Yamaha base gasket, copper head gasket and a leaktester
http://www.kenoconnorracing.com
Way better then eBay for parts lol
Awk has leak testers for sale I'm about to grab one soon because mine keeps leaking and I bought a new gauge not worth the hassle trying to seal it, maybe get a leak tester first thing lol

clean looking blaster and definitly worth fixing.
don't go jumping on cheap parts until we find out what exactly is wrong and guide you.

so is the engine locked up ?
will it kick over but not start ?
if so what is the compression ?

Reactions: Blaster064