new build. big bore and what ever else i can do ;)

brianblasts

May 6, 2015
Hey guys, over the last few months i have been collecting parts for my rebuild. i do have one opening question which is what carb should i buy for this. before someone says "use your stock carb"... mine is trashed. its dented, stripped, leaks... its in really bad shape. not by me mind you, it was like that when i got the quad. even if i went with a stock carb i would be buying a new one.

oh one more thing.. my driving style. guys I'm coming up on forty, have a 5 yrs old and my driving style is ... mature lolol so please no "you need to buy the top of the line parts" this blaster will get driven minimally and other then zipping down the road occasionally. it will be putsing through trails with my wife on her quad and my little guy on his in 2nd or 3rd gear most of the time. reason I'm rebuilding... it will be fun and its pretty worn out.

ok so I'll list all the parts i have and wait for your appreciated input :)
la sleeve 72mm sleeve thingy lol
72mm piston
ported jug and exhaust port.
new clutch(heavy duty springs) that's what the package said anyway lol
tors eliminator kit
14 tooth front sprocket
400ex rear shock
banshee rear axle
3" extended swing arm
lowering/widening kit for the front control arms
dynoport full exhaust(was told this is ideal for big bore)
really cool decal stickers... good for a few more ponies I'm sure ;)
new air filter. not sure on open or closed air box.. i don't know the pros or cons to that.
new tires... something like the sporty newer looking one lolol sorry i dont know what there called lol. i have bought thouse yet. carb is last thing i need to buy.

thanks a tons guys for any input. if i have something that sounds like a bad idea... I'm kinda new to this so please be nice... positive thinking ;) lolol

Last edited:
When I was reading this, I thought this guy needs a stock carb. more than suitable for his needs...
But with all the xtra goodies on there I would go for an VM 32 Mikuni, 1 it's cheap (around $100 new), 2: it probably only needs a different main jet,3: it has no tors:) and a normal idle screw. 1 thing: it doesn't fit the stock air booth and manifold. I used a Moose 34 mm manifold and customised airbooth.
Nothing but good experiences with it.
Have fun with your project!
1446739086748143384453.jpg
1446739128603-1367171247.jpg

Last edited:
Go with a rechambered head, makes a dig difference,more power across the board,more compression, more detonation resistance,
A lot of Bang! for your buck (pun intended) reguardless of any other mods, or lack of.

I sent mine to Ken O'Conor Racing, all you need to do is talk to KOR (Ken) from kenoconnorracing.com and tell him what fuel you plan to run and what cylinder and mods you have, and he we take care of the rest.

If you are on a tight budget you can get a mikuni vm28 carb from a 90's model yz80 for $20 or $30 all day long, it fits into the stock intake and airbox boots, and has a little more flow to help with the BBK. I ended up running a vm28 on my Ported .020" over blaster, and found it needed a smaller pilot jet, and about 1 to 2 main jet sizes up versus stock...

Last edited:
I don't know who will be doing your re- sleeve work and porting, but I would make sure they know you are more interested, in good bottom end and strong mid-range, soo many builders concentrate on MX, sand and drag builds that they really haven't put any effort or research into low end torque, and trail builds.
if you don't have a machinist /engine builder you fully trust, send the whole engine or at least the top end off to KORacing. Not only does he have tons of experience with the Blaster, torque and trail ports, but absolutely everything you would have done to your motor is done in house.
I sent my top-end there and was thoroughly impressed. Not only did i get back a bulletproof cylinder, built to handle a forged wiseco at extreme temps, but turnaround was soo fast that the driveline parts I had ordered from E-bah at the same time didn't show up until days after my topend was back from KOR. I found out he had actually started on it the same day it arrived and finished it up the next. If i had it to do over again I would have went ahead and got my clutch and various parts from KOR as well.

Their are tons of satisfied KOR customers here and noone knows blaster motors better, if you will be assembling you own motor you should check out the kenoconnorracing youtube channel it has a sweet video series on blaster engine assembly, and mentions alot of the little extras, like the shift star mod for smoother shifting, and several tricks and secrets like how to safely heat the inner race of the main bearing so the case can just be slapped on, there is also a vid detailing the sleeve installation process.

At one point I did run across a guy that does vintage 2-stoke bikes, and is also experienced with low end porting, but I didn't see where he had done extensive Blaster specific development and testing, that and his prices were a bit higher. Either way make sure and use a builder that has done the type of work you are wanting, get some references and talk to people who have had similar work done, and swe what they say. A poory aligned sleeve, and/or the wrong porting can really kill the power where you need it the most, leaving you with a motor that needs constant clutch work to keep it going.

If you plan on breaking through any new or overgrown trails , you might benefit from quite low gearing 12/42 and some 22"inch tires on the back, 21"-23" Front, this will give you extra ground clearance, and also make it easier to get through the slow tough stuff without riding the clutch. the trade-off is a lower top speed probably around 50 or 55mph.

Enjoy

Id go after a 33 or 35 mm Pwk. Make sure its genuine. Most people who run larger carbs use kehiens, and can give you advise and point you in the right jetting directions. Not so many use the larger mikunis.

All your listed stuff sounds cool. Good luck with the build

thanks a ton for the input guys. i do plan on having ken do some work for me. not sure how much yet though.

so any thoughts on how this blaster will drive with the mods I'm doing?

ok back to the carb... are any of these mentioned a direct bolt? how/where do i get the rubber boots that would match a bigger carb and the reed cage thingy lol ? I'm searching.... but I'm probably not using(dont know) the right words to use for a search. I'm coming up with nothing.

The vm28 from a 90's yz80 is a direct bolt on has the same external dimensions, minus the throttle cable, you will need a non-tors throttle cable.
On my blaster with a '92 yz80 vm28 carb (it has a slightly richer Q-2 Needle jet)
I am running a #30 pilot, a 5j11 needle at clip#4 , and a 330 main jet. This is at 400 feet and 65-80 degrees, go to 40-65 degrees and I prefer the 340 main.
This is with a toomey, head and port work, the stock carb would be running a 32.5 pilot, 5j22 needle (with p-2 NJ), and a 310 main.

The reason I needed to go down to 30 on the pilot jet is because the Q-2 needle jet is richer particularly in the idle to 1/4 throttle range, the 5j11 needle is pretty lean and pairs nicely with the Q-2 main jet with clip #4 as a neutral setting. Since the carb is slightly larger it requires a slightly larger main jet to match 2 sizes above what is expected for the stock carb is a good starting point.

You should pull and check your needle jet. If you get a slightly older vm28 carb with a single vent line (92 and later have 2 vent lines) expect to have an O-0 needle jetwhich is a good little bit leaner than the stocker, and will probably require a #35 pilot (stock for the vm28), as well as a richer needle like maybe a blue vitos or a 5n7, might be able to run the stock needle on a richer clip as well.
With mikuni the needles can be quite confusing, most people don't change them unless it's is a must.

hey guys, would anyone be interested in this project? i have not done anything to the quad yet it is still a running quad with the mods i already had done plus i have all these parts I've collected for the big bore.

just off the top of my head.
extended swing arm
banchee axle
400 ex spring/with the kor nuts kit
new handle bars, grips, etc
extra jug
72mm sleeve
72mm piston/ring
tors eliminator kit
the jug that's on there is an .080 over
dyno port exhaust and silencer

theirs more but i don't remember right now. i can get it out and take some pics if anyone is interested. shoot me an offer and the worst i can say is no.

reason for selling... my corvette is done with the redo and now I'm working on my boxster and need more porsche parts money lolol

like mentioned this blaster is in working condition.. quite fast and has no issues as it stand now.

I listed it on craigslist last night for $1500 for everything. I wont seperate parts, if i dont sell it all i will do the project.