New Blaster Owner Questions

ReverendJim

Aug 21, 2013
Emmett, Idaho
Hello. Just got my hands on a 1989 Blaster. Got it through CL on a trade for a old Yamaha Virago parts bike that was laying around. I plan on returning the blaster to her former glory so I have some questions.

The blaster runs at the moment but it's amazing that it does. When I first got it there wasn't any compression. My brother is a 2 stroke guru having worked on dirt bikes since he was a kid. He pulled it apart and found the rings were smeared on one side. He popped them out and cleaned the grooves and we got it to start. Don't wanna damage it so it's parked.

It seems the poor thing has been rigged and beaten most of her life. The smeared ring looks to be due to an intake boot that was split all the way on the top and was laughingly fixed with some silicone that was being held on by a hose clamp. So I'm pretty sure it was sucking air pretty good, got hot and smeared the rings. My brother measured the cylinder with a micrometer and it's standard bore. Cylinder definitely needs honed but he thinks it's not too bad to need bored.

It's missing the front fenders, bumper, hood, ignition panel, headlight, I removed the rear grab bar as it was broken, and the seat is toast. However it does have nice back fenders, good tank and tank cover, brand new handlebars, twist throttle kit, new clutch, good tires all the way around, nice nerf bars, the frame isn't broken, bent or anything. Front end definitely needs new bushings though. Ok on to the questions...

I've been reading this forum for a couple days and learned a lot already (thanks). I know that these came with Mikuni carbs stock, mine has a Keihin PJ flatslide. I've read that this is a bit big for a stock blaster. Is this something I can just rejet to make it better or is it just too big without a port job? Thinking this could also contribute to the smeared rings?

Rear shock is all spring at the moment and the front ones are working but who knows for how long. Plan to do the 400ex rear shock and banshee fronts. I understand the rear shock will need the Ken O'Connor bushings and a bolt and the banshee will just bolt in right? Is there any other options I'm overlooking that wouldn't be ridiculous expensive and better?

I must have read 3 dozen posts about forged vs cast pistons. I brought it up to my brother and he was torn on the subject. Said he once rebuilt his 84 CR250 ATAC with a forged wiseco and it locked up after a 10 minute warm up but never had a single cast piston seize or break. He ran cast in his 01 CR as well because of the seizing issue. His opinion was unless I was gonna be on the track competing a wiseco wasn't necessary. I plan on doing Idaho trail riding with some jumping and such but nothing ridiculous. If I did go cast what is a brand I can trust? I've read Namura is a bad one. What about Pro-X, WSM, Vertex? I must've read a few threads claiming all these companies are OEM suppliers. Which one actually is?

I'm not asking to save money, I don't mind buying a Wiseco but I maintain my stuff and running it til it dies is not going to happen. I will have a reputable local shop check the clearances and have it setup properly. Seizing sounds to me like it would be more likely than the skirt breaking with proper maintenance. My brother said the skirt breaking sounds like people slapping bikes together without checking clearances and he's never seen that happen but he maintains his stuff. I'm not ruling out a Wiseco but I'd be pissed if I let my bike warm up for 10 minutes and it still seized. It could've been a fluke or something else but I've read on here that other people who maintain their bikes haven't had any issues with cast.

This has gotten big enough I'll ask more later. Thanks!

welcome to blasterforum, your not to far from me, im in kent area in Washington. yes banshee shocks will bolt right up and the 400 is a good rear shock, If I were you I would just put a stock carb back in. do you have a pic of the current carb? stock will be easier to jet and run better for a stockish engine. and I would go with a wiseco. a wiseco will be great, just give a proper warm up, I let mine idle till the engine is hot to the touch then ride around slowly but at higher rpm's then rip and grip it!! my wiseco lasted for like 7 years and it just now seized from what I think is a airleak. if you go with a cast, namura pro-x and the others you listed are all ok, don't run it anymore until you give it a leak down test, compression test again, and get your jeting atleast in the ball park

welcome to blasterforum, your not to far from me, im in kent area in Washington. yes banshee shocks will bolt right up and the 400 is a good rear shock, If I were you I would just put a stock carb back in. do you have a pic of the current carb? stock will be easier to jet and run better for a stockish engine. and I would go with a wiseco. a wiseco will be great, just give a proper warm up, I let mine idle till the engine is hot to the touch then ride around slowly but at higher rpm's then rip and grip it!! my wiseco lasted for like 7 years and it just now seized from what I think is a airleak. if you go with a cast, namura pro-x and the others you listed are all ok, don't run it anymore until you give it a leak down test, compression test again, and get your jeting atleast in the ball park

Thanks for the quick response! Nice blaster! There is one here in Emmett for sale that looks like yours (color scheme) for $450 or OBO that runs but says won't idle. I'm thinking of snagging up.

What does a port job go for? I may just do that and keep the Keihin. My brother says they are great carbs. What does a stock carb go for and would I have to get anything special to keep it twist throttle?

Yeah it's parked. I don't want to cause anymore damage. The poor thing has been beat on enough. This winter it's going to get painted, new shocks, engine rebuild and some plastics for the front. Also my pipe is a big chunk of rust but there is an '04 stock pipe on CL right now for $20 I'm going to pickup. But I'm guessing that with a port job I'd probably want a performance pipe? It already has an FMF muffler.

We're lucky to live up here. Washington, Oregon and Idaho is some beautiful country and has some of the best trails I've seen and I've lived in 7 different states!

Welcome
to the
Dirt Pile!!!

I:I​

Never had a problem with Wiseco either. I do know at one time they were not CNC'd, they were straight and round. Now they are slightly smaller at the top, and acrossed the pin area.

As much abuse as yours has had I would bore it. Did your bro check the clearance? That's the killer of cast pistons, and unfortunately Blasters are prone to blowing the cases out when the piston breaks :eek: X(

Thanks for the quick response! Nice blaster! There is one here in Emmett for sale that looks like yours (color scheme) for $450 or OBO that runs but says won't idle. I'm thinking of snagging up.

What does a port job go for? I may just do that and keep the Keihin. My brother says they are great carbs. What does a stock carb go for and would I have to get anything special to keep it twist throttle?

Yeah it's parked. I don't want to cause anymore damage. The poor thing has been beat on enough. This winter it's going to get painted, new shocks, engine rebuild and some plastics for the front. Also my pipe is a big chunk of rust but there is an '04 stock pipe on CL right now for $20 I'm going to pickup. But I'm guessing that with a port job I'd probably want a performance pipe? It already has an FMF muffler.

We're lucky to live up here. Washington, Oregon and Idaho is some beautiful country and has some of the best trails I've seen and I've lived in 7 different states!

id snatch it up If it has some good parts on it, if your pipe sisint stock id just clean it up. and yes keihins are great but it will rob lowend power with no porting. do you have a pic of the carb by chance?

welcome to BF !

i'd start with having that cylinder measured and bored/honed to the piston of your choice, cast or wiseco will work just fine.
the forged does require religious, light rev, warmups.
not the hold it wide open "to clear it" that i see most dirtbike riders do.

measure the intake side of that carb to determine it's size, it could just be a 28mm keihin, one size larger than stock, which is a good carb for light mods.
it has been said that too big of carb will always run lean, no matter what size jets, due to the loss of air velocity thru it and over the jets.

porting that cylinder is where it's at !
really wakes these little engines up and unleashes what yamaha didn't.
ported, a pipe and airfilter/open airbox and easily double the stock 17 hp. and hold your own against most anything in the trails.

and since you've already mentioned the bushings from ken, his porting is my weapon of choice :)
might as well have him bore it to your piston of choice if you choose to send it in ?
one call does it all..........
http://kenoconnorracing.com/Two%20Stroke%20Cylinder%20Porting.html

Yup, i would call ken. He knows it all, and is very understanding of where everyone stands I:I

bore/hone and get a piston through him so he can match it. Porting and a head mod are the plus while its there I:I (thats what im doing lol)

id snatch it up If it has some good parts on it, if your pipe sisint stock id just clean it up. and yes keihins are great but it will rob lowend power with no porting. do you have a pic of the carb by chance?

I don't have a picture of the carb at the moment but I saw that is said PJ on it and I looked it up and found the pictures online looked just like mine. I guess they came off of a CR500? My brother has a micrometer so I'll measure it.

I believe the pipe is stock. I could be wrong though. It's so covered in rust I couldn't tell ya but it doesn't look like a fatty pipe.

Yup, i would call ken. He knows it all, and is very understanding of where everyone stands I:I

bore/hone and get a piston through him so he can match it. Porting and a head mod are the plus while its there I:I (thats what im doing lol)

Yeah I've been looking on his site but it seems kind of spendy. Nothing against Mr. OConnor, he seems to really know his stuff. But paying upwards of $300+ to have a crank balanced seems silly when you could just buy a wiseco double forged crank and rod for $158. Top end rebuild, porting and head machining comes to around $350. Why not spend a couple hundred more and buy the big bore kit?

Again I'm not putting Mr. OConnor down and not intending any disrespect. These are honest questions. Is this really just a matter of saving a couple hundred bucks for some, bragging rights due to custom work for others or am I missing something? Again, honest question no disrespect.

I'm not looking to race or have the sweetest Blaster in Idaho so maybe I just don't get it. They seem pretty sweet the way they are and if I wanted to really step it up it seems the big bore would be the way to go. Or just buy a banshee. I know I'll probably get stoned for saying that here! lol

Yeah I've been looking on his site but it seems kind of spendy. Nothing against Mr. OConnor, he seems to really know his stuff. But paying upwards of $300+ to have a crank balanced seems silly when you could just buy a wiseco double forged crank and rod for $158. Top end rebuild, porting and head machining comes to around $350. Why not spend a couple hundred more and buy the big bore kit?

Because a ported bbk costs around 700 :p

Head mod, pipe and porting is the best bang for your buck if you want to make more power. If you are mechanically inclined you can follow Ken's DIY porting videos on YouTube and save yourself some money.

my KOR ported engine will outrun an unported BBK.
a ported BBK is the cats azz !
so even the BBK's need porting to unleash the beast.

there is no better crank than the japanese stock crank (even rebuilt)
with the hot rods a close second
the wiseco's are now made in taiwan, and have been having breaking issues at the flywheel area.
and............

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now I know lol and that is exactly why I'm asking you guys. At first glance a guy could seriously waste a lot of money on sub-par parts and misconceptions.

Reactions: Awk08
Well now I know lol and that is exactly why I'm asking you guys. At first glance a guy could seriously waste a lot of money on sub-par parts and misconceptions.

thats how we roll I:I
have some reps for asking and heeding good advice