New Blaster, New to 2 Strokes. Very Turned Around.

So I've got the pipe, lid off, middle clip (3rd down) and 280main like I said. Full throttle it seems to lag at first and then it's like the lights come on and it rips. Should I start over on pilot setting, or try 2nd down clip?

what were the results of a plug chop with the 280 main ?

masking a lean main with a needle adjustment is a band-aid on a bullet wound

Reactions: Blaaster
Hooooooly sh*t luck. Took the Blaster out to make my plug chop runs, notice it running a little funny, pull in clutch and it dies, wont restart, checked plug and nub had unscrewed from top of plug, pull the plug, retrieve nub. Put back together and still won't restart, mess with it 20minutes on the side of the trail, notice cylinder doesn't seem rock solid, rock exhaust and see jug rock slightly. 2 Cylinder bolts had become hand tight, another slightly loose. Realize I'm screwed and called friend to get my truck and meet 3/4 mile back near the road and push the Blaster all the way. Get home and tighten nuts, able to start but will not idle at all without choke. Assuming gasket is toast.

TL;DR Cylinder nuts worked loose. Re tightened and now won't idle.

My, guess is that the nuts have been overtightened at sometime stretching the threads.

The gasket now possibly needs replacing.

Get some new studs and nuts and torque them to 18ftlbs

Well I confirmed two things. One, the gasket was blown out on two sides. Two, it's not a 240, piston is stamped 65.94. piston and rings look good, gaskets (cyl and head) and new studs will be here Tuesday so I can reassemble. Is there a certain way the rings need to be clocked for install?

There are locating pins in the ring grooves of piston to locate the ring ends. One toward each outer side of the intake windows

Well I confirmed two things. One, the gasket was blown out on two sides. Two, it's not a 240, piston is stamped 65.94. piston and rings look good, gaskets (cyl and head) and new studs will be here Tuesday so I can reassemble. Is there a certain way the rings need to be clocked for install?

This sounds like you bought an el cheapo cylinder kit of ebay... please tell us this is not the case!?!

This sounds like you bought an el cheapo cylinder kit of ebay... please tell us this is not the case!?!
I just meant new cyl and head gaskets and studs to put the parts I have back together.

Seller gave me another cylinder with the quad. The cylinder on the quad has no markings on it for ID so it doesn't make sense unless he ruined a piston and bought a cheap cylinder/piston kit. The loose cylinder has the regular Yamaha casting codes. Should I reassemble with the Yamaha jug after confirming it's not over bored or use the unidentified jug that it came with?

Last edited:
If the other cylinder doesn't have casting codes on it, I would be very leery of it.
You know where the casting code is right?
Yea, the separate jug has y-2. The one that was on the engine has nothing. The reeds seem to be Vito's, possibly Vito's jug? Should I have a shop check over the y2 cyl, or just a good inspection and check bore?

Went out and compared the cylinders I have. The Unidentified cyl remains so, doesn't even have the 2xJ200 195CM3. Unfortunately the Y-2(Factory) has gouges in the wall. So I'm figuring on reassembling with the unknown jug and sooner or later having the Y2 jug bored or maybe a 240 sleeve. Then I just need a piston and I can be ready if this junk blows up.

Don't let it blow up because you want to half ass it. That's stupid.
Spend the $60 and have the cylinder bored to an over sized piston.
Why not just do it CORRECTLY the first time?

$60 to bore plus $100 for a new piston. Or I use the current stock size piston and unknown brand stock bore cylinder until I NEED to replace it.
I'm not trying to blow anything up, I will assemble and tune it properly. It was running great until these cylinder bolts loosened up. So it's ~$40 for gaskets to put it where it was, or $160+ to use other parts I dont need to yet.

$60 to bore plus $100 for a new piston. Or I use the current stock size piston and unknown brand stock bore cylinder until I NEED to replace it.
I'm not trying to blow anything up, I will assemble and tune it properly. It was running great until these cylinder bolts loosened up. So it's ~$40 for gaskets to put it where it was, or $160+ to use other parts I dont need to yet.

Sry I am getting turned around here.

Has the unkown brand cylinder been previously used? If it has, how can you be 100% sure that a stock piston size will work? Have you had it professionally measured?

Went out and compared the cylinders I have. The Unidentified cyl remains so, doesn't even have the 2xJ200 195CM3. Unfortunately the Y-2(Factory) has gouges in the wall. So I'm figuring on reassembling with the unknown jug and sooner or later having the Y2 jug bored or maybe a 240 sleeve. Then I just need a piston and I can be ready if this junk blows up.

While your math is correct, the common sense math is $40 for gaskets for the first cylinder, $40 in gaskets for when it blows up due to unknowness (is that a word??) $60 bore, $100 piston.

So thats $240 instead of the $200.

But everyone FORGETS the most important part!!! When that stock piston snags the intake port and shatters into a million pieces, possibly taking out a crank, main bearings, maybe a case if the piston gets stuck underneath the crank at 10k RPM. So that $200 turns into 4, 5, $600.00....

I have been in your shoes, I have done things to get me by. I never ends well, it never goes the way you want.

How about having your cylinders both measured, that way you know where you stand.
At least then you know what you've got to work with.

Sorry I haven't done a good job keeping it easy to follow.
I got the Blaster with the unknown cylinder installed. Ran fine until the bolts loosened. I also have the factory cylinder that needs bored at least. The unknown cylinder isn't damaged so I am planning to reassemble the engine as it was when I got the quad.

Ken O'Connor has a you tube video of how to identify various Blaster cylinders. Stock, Vito's, Airsal, CT Sonic. It will NOT have the cheap Ching Chong chewy Chinese Junkers , that crap only recently hit the market . You kind of have to pay attention to the vid because some of the differences are very, very minor.

If you do have a knock off I wouldn't try to get much time out of it. Search on here for reviews , less than 50% satisfaction, several failures. Worst thing is if the piston breaks and takes out a engine case.