NEED HELP WITH 96 Moto-4 BADGER

redsaleen

Feb 29, 2008
I know it's not a blaster, but I just signed up because I'm picking up an 01 Blaster in 2 weeks. But last week I picked up a Moto-4 Badger for my boys. It's a 80cc 4 stroke.

The thing will not start with the electronic ignition. It has a new batter and we have spark. I pulled the carb off this weekend it looked pretty clean. But I did clean it up with carb cleaner while it was apart. Now the weird thing is, we can push it and pop it into 1st gear and get it running. That is the only way we can get it to start. And then after we ride a bit, if we shut it off, it will start back up with the switch. But if you let it sit for 15-20 minutes it won't start buy the switch again.

Sorry for the long paragraph. Anyone have any ideas?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

your starter may be the culprit. when you get the quad warm, it turns over much easier. so, when you let it cool off the starter may not have enough power to turn over the motor.

starters are just cheap high torque electric motors.

I have put a Jump box on the battery and when I use the switch it does seem to try and turn over better, but still doesn't turn over. So it seems to be getting enough power, it just won't turn over.

I'm trying to avoid taking it to a dealer to fix. I like to try and take care of this stuff myself. Save some cash and learn a little bit.

I tried a new starter this weekend with no success. I tore apart the carb again and soaked the jets overnight in carb cleaner. In case there was debri in them. Still wouldn't start. It did start on the first push down the drive way and popping it into first. Ran it for about 25 minutes. Stopped it and started it with the switch 2-3 times. After sitting a half hour it wouldn't start again. :(
Any more ideas? I really appreciate it!