Need a starting point for carb

David madison

Oct 20, 2017
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum but I've been reading through the forums for the past few days. I've got a 2001 blaster that was stock when I bought it. I've been adding modification's but need a starting point for my carb. I just replaced all the seals as it was smoking real bad. The new upgrades include
-fmf fatty
- fmf turbinecore2
-running without airbox lid
- ported cylinder
-milled head and rechambered by Ken
-Wiseco piston
-oil pump blocked off
Running 32 to 1
About 70°
670 feet above sea
50% humidity

The original owner was running a 190 in a 26mm mikuni carb

So I'm looking to figure out what main should I run to start. Shouldn't I break in the new piston before I do a plug chop? I know 190 is way to small just not sure where to start I don't want to break in with such a small main thanks guys.

yes there is alot of factors start big you could even by 320 through 280 to be safe.
ken did some of your work he has a video of doing proper heat cycles
like i say buy a few different genuine mikuni main jet jets start big:)
there is also alot of opinions already written on here in the carb section
with similar set ups:)

Last edited:
Reactions: David madison
Thank you for the help. Got the head back the other day. I Haven't gotten a chance to put it on because it was raining all day. I did however buy my wife a blaster yesterday and she's pretty excited to ride. Just gotta fix her up probably needs the crank seals. My fmf exhaust system is not fitting like I had imagined.... hopefully it fits or I'll send it back. The only reason I got fmf is for the spark arrestor they are pretty strict here when trail riding in the woods.

I had to loosen the mount off of the frame at both pivot spots and hold pipe in place
then tighten it.
Try loosening the mount under gas tank area at both pivot points:)

Finally got the fmf pipes on. Man was it a battle to get them on probably took me 3 or 4 hours some of the mounts needed to be modified. Everything was put back together and she started right up! I only got to do one heat cycle because it was getting late. I'll get to finish the rest on Wednesday and I'll finally get to ride around the yard and get to my plug chop. It smokes pretty bad but I had some oil in the piston when putting together. Hopefully I'll be ready for next weekend to ride with my buddies. Time to do some crank seal's on my wife's blaster.... can't wait

Reactions: speedyslyder
Do you think a dynoport will fit with a fmf turbinecore 2?

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 158
After the heat cycles you need to re torque the head and cylinder nuts

Finished the heat cycles. But no matter what main jet I put in when I get some speed and go full throttle it bogs until I let off the throttle. It doesn't even seem like a I can do a plug chop because it wont go full throttle

you should do a leak test after putting the seals
and wiseco piston in.
also do a compression test.
check the reeds
check float height
good fuel flow from tank to carb
what is the airscrew set at?
can you rev it fully when it is sitting still?
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/about-air-leaks-save-your-engine.55537/#post-763164
I didn't do a leak test. I did check reeds and goo fuel flow and I checked float level. The air screw is out about 2 1/2 I put a 150 in and dropped the needle one place seems to run better I think enough to do a plug chop. I had to put the airbox back on seems to do better. I'm going to run a plug chop at 250 270 and 300 and see which one looks the best since I have to drive out to test it

I didn't do a leak test. I did check reeds and goo fuel flow and I checked float level. The air screw is out about 2 1/2 I put a 150 in and dropped the needle one place seems to run better I think enough to do a plug chop. I had to put the airbox back on seems to do better. I'm going to run a plug chop at 250 270 and 300 and see which one looks the best since I have to drive out to test it

i hope that is a typo '150'

i can't make any sense of why you can't full throttle the engine either lol

I go full throttle then it sounds like it's bogging so I let off and roll back on the throttle then it takes off but every time I shift it seems to have the same issue. Seemed if I rolled on the throttle it would bog real bad then due unless I let off all the way unless I gave it a tiny bit of gas

Last edited: