Keep blowing the clutch case and basket

BlastinByYou

Sep 28, 2011
ive replaced the basket and clutches and case because i went to take off it blew made sure everything is cleaned out and is tight and the it blew again what could be doing this?

No the shaft isnt bent. It looks as if the jam nut that holds the clutch shaft pin tight, keeps coming loose and it releases the clutch and they shear the ends of the outter basket off. This will make my 3rd basket within a month. BUT ANY HELP OR POINTERS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THX IN ADVANCE.

you have to be missing something in there, a washer, spacer, the locking washer for the nut (gets bent over to keep the nut tight)
look up the schematic in the manual, available in the troubleshooting link below under my sig pic, or look on bikebandit.com
gotta be missing sumthin or assembling it wrong

I have to agree an assembly error. Locktighting the nut that holds the Inner basket on?

Here's a thread with diagrams, and a link or two on proper adjustment and torque specs!

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/clutch-plate-placement-write-up-39725/

Be easy with the "L" word.... :p

You don't want to loctite that nut on because you'd have to heat it to break it loose and you wouldn't want to go heating inside the inner basket.

There is a bend washer built in to lock that inner basket nut but it would also be a missing washer letting the assembly drag and backing that nut out.

I'm with Awk, something's definitely not right, a look over the parts diagram for the blaster clutch and a look through the assembly process in the service manual should get you on what you're missing man...

Be easy with the "L" word.... :p

You don't want to loctite that nut on because you'd have to heat it to break it loose and you wouldn't want to go heating inside the inner basket.

There is a bend washer built in to lock that inner basket nut but it would also be a missing washer letting the assembly drag and backing that nut out.

HUH? I have always put blue locktight on that. But I also use my impact to remove that, so it's not an issue for me!

have a look, what are you missing ????
are you bending the locking washer against the nut ????

n4h646.jpg

THX FOR ALL THE RESPONSES! but anyway it looks as if i have everything but the washer that would go in front of the nut ( # 19 in the diagram).
But i also never knew the torque setting for the basket..I researched it and it says 53 lbs?But when i assemble it im gonna follow the diagram part for part!i will keep ya posted! thx again

THX FOR ALL THE RESPONSES! but anyway it looks as if i have everything but the washer that would go in front of the nut ( # 19 in the diagram).
But i also never knew the torque setting for the basket..I researched it and it says 53 lbs?But when i assemble it im gonna follow the diagram part for part!i will keep ya posted! thx again

That's how I had to do it my first time too! Picture diagrams are the shiznit!

Hope it all works out great!

The one I would suspect is failing (or has failed in the past and caused damage enough to keep this vicious cycle going) is number 15 on the diagram Awk posted.

It's the "bend" washer to keep the nut from backing out.

It is possible it wasn't kept tight one time, backed out, and let the clutch come all to pieces which bent the input shaft. Now the assembly is out of balance or spacing and keep shredding. You need to rotate the whole assembly and check runout on everything to see if anything is bent. If so, replacement may be the only options or this same problem might keep happening over and over again.

15 on the diagram is nice and tight in there even after the baskets keep shredding. That was my first guess too. ive got a whole new clutch assembly on the way so imma change all of it out and go piece for piece as i said and torque everything to specs,and go from there!ill try uploading some pics durin the process of reassembly and ill show the nut that keeps backing off! Thx again guys!

anyone thought about bad bearings??? if the nut isn't backing off then what else could it be?

You have to bend #15 up over the nut after you torque it