K&N Air Filter?

umm rocky318 ur not supposed to put ur filter in gas. only just hot soap and water then re oil it

Last edited:
yeah i agree with rocky, ive been using gas to clean my filters for a long time and i havent had any problems at all and it works really fast for getting thick dirt out

I think if you read most yamaha manuals, at least the older ones, they recommend using kerosene to clean the filters. Same idea, just a little less explosive than gas. Either one works a lot better than soap and water though.

hmmm well that makes sense about using gas to clean a filter but its just something i wouldn't do to my filter. if you guys use it and have no problems keep doing what u want to do.

ok, i don't run k&n anymore they let too much dust in my friend blew his motor because of that, when we pulled the filter off and the carb it was full of sh*t. he maintained the filter correctly and even had a precharger screen. i will never run k&n i will stick with a foam filter as long as i ride

I agree 100% with you

K&N is the only way to go. If they use them on midget they are more than fine for a 4 wheeler. You will get way more dust and dirt on a dirt racing track than just riding in a park or field. Plus K&N is Dyno proven.

Heres what your piston looks like after running a K&N filter. Thats not carbon (most of it anyways) thats baked on dirt thats why its reddish brown not black this dirt also makes it into your berrings. And pre-filters only catch big particles, think about it if pre-filters caught smaller particles of dust than the filter what would the point of the filter be?

Its a proven fact that k&n filters allow more air through to the carb. More air = more dirt too. It doesn't matter how much oil you put on a k&n, its going to allow more dirt through because there made from paper.

Its a proven fact that k&n filters allow more air through to the carb. More air = more dirt too. It doesn't matter how much oil you put on a k&n, its going to allow more dirt through because there made from paper.

if u maintain it and take care of it it shouldnt be much more dirt

Heh this argument can go on for days without anyone proving anything...

Whos to say that you used your K&N and did not grease the base like your suppose to to get all that dirt in your cylinder? Whos to say that you did'nt clean it properly, used high pressure water, or used a cleaner that broke down the element?

I used K&N in every vehicle I own (cept the wifes vehicle which will get one very soon), and if you look at any of the cylinders in any of my machines they do not look like that, and we ride in some pretty dirty environments..

Granted foam filters are great, but the reason K&N sell so many filters is..................................... Drumroll................................ They work too ! !

yea i use K&N air filter and my ride has never had any problem with that, the only problems my ride has had is the oil injection ( i dont have oil injection block off kit :( ] and only one time i had a leak from the top end gaskets but thats about it. Maybe im lucky i dont know just saying i havent had problems with mine.

i agree!!!!u all think what u want but ill stick with my K&N over some foam filter any day plus they have a 1,000,000 mile warrenty how can u beat that