Is this a cracked case? Can I fill it in or get a new one?

Immabept

Jun 24, 2015
I bought a used 1997 blaster that seemed to be running great. I later realized it would not hold tranny oil. The fluid would disappear after starting the engine, which was letting out white smoke, and would not return after stopping for a couple hours. There was no oil leaking and this happened even if I just let the engine idle in place.

I read on this forum and decided it was probably a crank seal. I removed the engine and am in the process of changing them, going to a buddies to get his flywheel puller tomorrow. From what I can see now the right side seal looks pretty new, and everything inside the engine is very clean like it has been rebuilt. I did not do leak down test because I thought it would only detect a leak to the outside of the engine, not between the top and bottom end. (I'm new to these engines and now I think I might have been wrong about the leak down test.)

I found some jb weld or liquid gasket or something caked on inside the chamber that houses the crankshaft (what is this called?), right where one would split the case. It looks like it might be cracked. Should I definitely split the case now to see this better? Is this kind of thing repairable? Would I be better off leaving the case sealed and putting more stuff on it to fill any hole? Will a leak-down test show me if this spot is what is leaking?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
2 Up close pics from inside of 'crankshaft chamber?' 20150623_205822[1].jpg 20150623_193208[1].jpg
Right side oil seal looks good to me?20150623_192449[1].jpg
Different angle to show that the damage in the crank chamber is pretty small not huge20150623_211059[1].jpg

Split the cases and make sure.
If it is cracked it can be repaired by welding!

Change both seals!

A leak test will tell you if the seals and case is leaky!

White smoke is a dead giveaway that the crank seal is leaky!

Split the cases and make sure.
If it is cracked it can be repaired by welding!

Change both seals!

A leak test will tell you if the seals and case is leaky!

White smoke is a dead giveaway that the crank seal is leaky!
This ^^^
Unfortunately you didn't leak test before you tore it down. I've worked on two blasters lately with bad seals.
One sucked the trans dry, but no damage luckily. The other needed new bore/piston.
This is why my "soapbox" is replace crank seals. Cheap, easy preventive maintenance
= peace of mind !!!

Thanks for the help I will open it up and see what it looks like. Does durafix work as an alternative to welding?

I just laughed... They are no where near the same. I think its funny when people create larger problems trying to fix something easy
I'm glad it sounds easy to you, maybe I will actually be successful! I only have a little welding experience but my friend with the welder says he can weld aluminum so we will give it a shot. If we ruin the whole engine, you should get a good laugh from the pics ;)

Why even bother if they warp from heat they wont seal anyway.:eek: There is a set of cases in the For Sale section.

Man I cant see this big chunk/ crack or whatever it is you are talking about ?!?! I see where the case halves meet and may be misaligned a tad,, but that's normal.. As far as the lapping that's pretty strait forward and basic. Some glass, some sand paper, and wd40:eek: and you can get things fairly flat. Hasn't failed me yet..

Also, there is Yamabond that is used between the 2 case halves,, Maybee this is what you are seeing and that is normal.. Also there are what I guess you can call "casting hairs" They look like cracks or small hair like lines... Those are normal also.. Like stated above a leak test should or should have been performed. This way you would know what the issue was and where it was leaking..

I personally cant see a crack though.. :confused:

Reactions: rich1
Finally got the pics to come up. Looks like Yamahabond ...grey non- hardening sealant that is supposed to be there. I agree with jus-me on this one.

Also, there is Yamabond that is used between the 2 case halves,, Maybee this is what you are seeing and that is normal.. Also there are what I guess you can call "casting hairs" They look like cracks or small hair like lines... Those are normal also.. Like stated above a leak test should or should have been performed. This way you would know what the issue was and where it was leaking..

I personally cant see a crack though.. :confused:

That looks like yamabond to me also. Very poor pictures to say the least.

Do a leak test.

Glad it wasn't my old azz eyes that couldn't see anything.
IF you only replace seals, be sure to seal collar to shaft. bit of 3Bond to inside before sliding it on.
Now would be the time to get a Clymers or the download manual.

IF you slit cases, definately need a manual. Laquer thinner or brake cleaner will remove old case sealer. Be sure there is none in bottom of threaded holes. Use a plumbers acid/flux brush to spread a nice even THIN coat of 3Bond / YammaBond on one case half.