Is the blaster worth it to me?

Matt T

Apr 19, 2016
This is actually my first post here as no one ever responded on thumper talk. So hi everyone, I'm contemplating getting a blaster as they can be had for cheap. My question is what is the cheapest way to get reliable power. I want it to be at least close to a z400. Can I do this reliably without breaking the bank? I've always loved blasters, now you guys have to justify me getting one

Reactions: ford_guy
Welcome! lots of know how on here! yes, blasters are cheap and if you're looking for more power Id focus on finding a reliable and well maintained blaster and strip apart motor. Keep us posted!

they NEVER respond on there! I picked up a blaster for 600 and I love it! You can find nice used aftermarket pipes that really wake the motor up for a pretty good price. I paid 200 for a used toomey on here. As for a z400 You have to think about it differently because these are 2strokes. I have always assumed that 2 stroke can be compared to double the cc's for example:My blaster will probably dust a 350 warrior because yes its 200 but It would be equivalent to a 400. probably less top end but just saying. I Bought this blaster and it has been great for me every ride! Also if you are really big you might want something bigger!

thy NEVER respond on there! I picked up a blaster for 600 and I love it! You can find nice used aftermarket pipes that really wake the motor up for a pretty good price. I paid 200 for a used toomey on here. As for a z400 You have to think about it differently because these are 2strokes. I have always assumed that 2 stroke can be compared to double the cc's for example:My blaster will probably dust a 350 warrior because yes its 200 but It would be equivalent to a 400. probably less top end but just saying. I Bought this blaster and it has been great for me every ride! Also if you are really big you might want something bigger!
Well
they NEVER respond on there! I picked up a blaster for 600 and I love it! You can find nice used aftermarket pipes that really wake the motor up for a pretty good price. I paid 200 for a used toomey on here. As for a z400 You have to think about it differently because these are 2strokes. I have always assumed that 2 stroke can be compared to double the cc's for example:My blaster will probably dust a 350 warrior because yes its 200 but It would be equivalent to a 400. probably less top end but just saying. I Bought this blaster and it has been great for me every ride! Also if you are really big you might want something bigger!
I actually ride a warrior 350 currently and I have a rm125 that I am rebuilding. I used to have a z400 and it was pretty fast. The problem is that I am 16 and need to get a truck soon. I plan on finishing the rm and selling both the warrior and the rm and buying a truck and a quad with that money. If I get a blaster, I dont wanna end up downgrading so thats why I want to make sure I can make a fast blaster for cheap.

Warriors are a great quad !! Reliable as a rock and just as fast as one.
Porting, pipe, head mod, cyl/piston in good shape.
Blaster has a definite weight advantage. Size wise it is small which can be overcome with a few mods.
Taller stem/bars, thicker seat, maybe relocated pegs.

Reactions: blasterdemon7
But can it be fast enough for me not to get bored. Remember, I used to have a z400 and I will also have experience with an rm125 by the time I'm ready to get a blaster.

The top end on the road for a blaster is around 54 or something like that. I have a 700 virago and I haven't gotten bored with the blaster.

With mentioned mods you'll be around 30hp, about equal to z400 and still have weight advantage. Never rode a Z but they probably handle better . So you'd might have to upgrade a bit.

I actually ride with a guy that owns a z400. We are dead even when we run them down the road until he dusts me after I top out. I have a stroked 240 so its about as mean as it gets and that costs a lot of money. We are both 250+ pound riders. From what I've noticed though, 2 strokes can't handle big riders as good as a 4 stroke can. I'm thinking that if we were both 150 pound riders then I'd leave him pretty easy but I also have a fully maxed blaster and he has a z400 with only pipe and jetting done.

With mentioned mods you'll be around 30hp, about equal to z400 and still have weight advantage. Never rode a Z but they probably handle better . So you'd might have to upgrade a bit.
So just a pipe? I'm pretty sure that's all that was mentioned. Tbh, the handling difference won't bother me too much.

Porting, pipe, head mod, cyl/piston in good shape.
The pipe itself makes a heck of a difference. I got one and now I have a wheelie machine! You can upgrade to a 240 but honestly the 200 is peppy enough with just the pipe. In my opinion of course

Forgot to mention better air filter also. Plus the necessary jetting.
Thnx man, I looked over that message. Regarding the head mod. That's essentially just shaving the head to bump compression. Would I need to run a high octane gas with that?

Oh, I just saw that you can purchase redesigned heads for like 60 bucks. However, my question still stands, would I have to run high octane gas.

Thnx man, I looked over that message. Regarding the head mod. That's essentially just shaving the head to bump compression. Would I need to run a high octane gas with that?
No, it's more involved than just shaving/milling. It's changed from a conical combustion chamber to hemispherical dome. It can be set up to run anywhere from 87 regular to 110+ race fuel, whatever you want.

Shaving will increase compression but doesn't give anywhere near the benefits of a redesigned head.
JoeAK47 actually has some YouTube videos on how to do it.

No, it's more involved than just shaving/milling. It's changed from a conical combustion chamber to hemispherical dome. It can be set up to run anywhere from 87 regular to 110+ race fuel, whatever you want.

Shaving will increase compression but doesn't give anywhere near the benefits of a redesigned head.
JoeAK47 actually has some YouTube videos on how to do it.

Heck yea, this keeps sounding better and better.

One more question, will new style fenders (03+) directly bolt on to a older model (02-)