is it worth getting rid of airbox and getting pod filter right off carb?

thekingblaster

Aug 9, 2012
OHIO
I have a stock air box and I was wondering if it was better to get a pod filter of the carburetor

I have a trenga 30mm carb and a stock air box with k&n filter would it be better to get a uni of the carb and i race hard packed and somewhat dry tracks

word has it that a direct to carb filter causes air turbulance and jetting troubles at low to mid throttle , but at wide open for drag applications they seem to be the way to go.
some say a 4-6" velocity tube helps "straighten" the air and help tuning those lower circuts ?

So if i get a velocity tube that would put the pod filter right where the airbox would be it would help the tunning problems and would jetting be required

Thats what I use for my 30mm OKO no throttle issues at all. hauls in every gear. Just look for a 2 inch pod it's usally like a 5 inch atc pod filter only I dont use a velocity tube I just clamp it onto the end of my carb with the hose clamp that comes with it. funny thing is it's cleaner than my box filter on my other one lol go figure. but my jetting is a 45 pilot an 150 main. with boysens PSR reeds and toomey pipe and it's right on the money for me....
IMHO K&N is for the desert rats and UNI is more of an adequet MX filter

It would seem so as the air doesn't have to travel so far to get to the carb, reeds, etc. Kind of like how a right bend has less bends in it then a lefty . . . I myself would never do it as your inviting water in, and you would have to clean the filter MUCH more often. I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad depending on riding style and terrain, but I'ma woods, sand, dirt/mud and water type of rider so the filter off the carb would be a nightmare for me.

not power exactly in my opinion it's throttle responce. but yep I took the entire plastic box off of mine, and it's surprisingly clean. but I usally avoid mud. bit of a clean freak when I ride for as long as I can help it.

I run my foam filter directly on the carb throat, it needs at least an extra size jet to put it there, but I feel that it is worth it.

Some folks have experienced jetting issues, I seldom do, Maybe it is because I have experience of years on my side.

The larger carbs can sometimes be a little difficult to tune, but I can usually overcome it by adjusting the fuel/oil ratio to compensate.

Warning a paper filter cannot be used on the throat due to fuel spit back.

Look at this removable air.box the plastics sat.maier on them
Is this the new style of plastics maier is making

Last edited: