Idle and backfire

Snipervet2379

Mar 8, 2017
So after hitting steel cable and a few days of hurting I go to start my 96 Yamaha blaster and it started but then would cut off so it wouldn't idle at all . Sometimes it would give a loud pop like a backfire . The engine sounds louder than it did before as well. So I changed the spark plug and took the carb of and cleaned it and it was in good condition but when I put it back it did the same thing but added a new problem
( now the gas is coming out the overflow tube ) . Please help

You've come to the right place for your problems my friend.

Your overflow problem is quite simple. Read here: http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/

Or if you're to lazy to adjust it, you can always grab a hammer and tap the side of the carb to make it stop :)

Problem #2: Backfiring

Couple simple solutions to check before you dive into the engine.

Reeds? Cracks, broken, or warped?

Weak spark? You say plug is new, but what color is the spark?

When was the packing in the silencer last refreshed? Kind of an off the wall question, but I've seen bikes low on glass re packed, and crackling went away.

Thank you !!! Well everything was working great until I got in that accident on Thursday now I'm having all issues and which I don't know much about atvs

Do you have any battle scars from the run in with steel cable? I'd like to see what kind of damage it caused to you.