How to toast a blaster.

Markblaster

Custom blaster
Dec 6, 2015
Picked up a 1996 Yamaha blaster other day cheap as and I kind of knew some thing was wrong with it as it had just about little to no compression and kick starter wouldn't spring back.

It has. FMF gold series exhaust on it. oil injector tank removed and lines to side of engine removed. Haven't had a look if oil pump still in there.

Here is the quad.
538978815_zpsqugyjv4m.jpg

538978857_zpsxggdt3mo.jpg

Come with stock heal guards and plastics.
20161213_201158_zpsxsxi5nup.jpg

Spark plug they had in it.
20161214_180834_zpsicfg1sxo.jpg

The head looks fine.
20161214_182832_zpsmmkfn4e8.jpg

Piston no so good.
20161214_182941_zpscvlnbi70.jpg

Remove cylinder and oh hello metal bits. :eek:
20161214_183958_zpsxrvy4pli.jpg

Piston had a hard time put still in one bit.
20161214_184016_zpsznbzhidg.jpg

20161214_184043_zpseldwgbnz.jpg

The bore looks ok. Guess it could be bored out.
20161214_184413_zpsirsxb1me.jpg

20161214_184435_zpsqnviea46.jpg
20161214_184444_zpsoq45njnn.jpg

20161214_184451_zpsuknhgowe.jpg

This is the worse part.
20161214_184522_zpsbshhvpsz.jpg

I didn't clean the greasy / dirty engine because I knew it was most likely toast after doing compression test on it and got nothing.

So how did it happen. They forgot to install the rubber cap on the carburetor for the oil injector. That's what I'm guess has cooked this engine. Or they forgot to put 2 stroke oil in the fuel.

Check this out. Look at the color of the connecting rod. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not sure what I will do with it. would be nice if I have a big engine to mod into it.

Last edited:
Also the back brake don't work. Front wheels have been flipped. Engine kill switch was not connected. Air filter was not installed but in box.

Last edited:
Actually, I think you got a fantastic deal. It is in great shape for a 20 year old machine, especially if you got it cheap. You are going to need a crank, bore and piston, but what the heck? Pay the extra and put a 3mm stroker in it, next bore up and a rechambered head and it will run like a big boys toy.

And I'm guessing you will still be under $1000?

Steve

Reactions: Markblaster
yup fresh engine lots of time left on it.
especially if it is in your own hands a can maintain it,
unlike who knows what people did to it lol

I have been down the road of the cheap blaster to rebuild. It gets really expensive really fast lol. All those little parts add up! Check out my thread "full rebuild of $180 blaster"

I have been down the road of the cheap blaster to rebuild. It gets really expensive really fast lol. All those little parts add up! Check out my thread "full rebuild of $180 blaster"

True, it can be, but have a look, a running quad is $800-$1500 and up here in Canada more like $1500-$2500.
Many of those running $800 quads are barely running.
Cracked pistons, weak rings, leaking seals, poor brakes, missing parts, bad cables and tires.
You are going to be putting those parts on that $800 Blaster anyway.

So you go a $280 3mm stroker crank, $100 piston and $50 bore job, $50 gaskets, your labour and learning on the engine, Priceless! Add a $80 rechambered head and we are up to $560 but we have a well rebuilt 25-30 hp engine instead of that old worn out 17hp engine.

So what else do you need? Chain and sprockets? $150-$200 dependent on quality. All new drum brakes and cables? $80 will cover it. Need a rear brake? Less than $200 will adapt a later Blaster/Warrior/Raptor/450F/Banshee hydraulic system.

Yeah it costs money to play. even with all these costs, we are still under the price of a pristine Blaster.
What other sport quad can be had for these prices? What other quad weighs under 400 lbs?
Have you seen the price of repairs on the 450 or 660 motors?

Steve

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Any hobby costs money :D
If you look at the crank picture, you'll notice no thrust bearing on the right and not much left of the left one. That little thin piece sitting there is whats left of one.

Any hobby costs money :D
If you look at the crank picture, you'll notice no thrust bearing on the right and not much left of the left one. That little thin piece sitting there is whats left of one.

Yeah. Not much there anymore. Ended up selling it to a dude that wanted a project over Xmas, He is in to bikes and didn't have a quad so he wanted to rebuild one. Plus it gets out of my way so I have more room for my quad.

Was interesting to see the damage and post photos for your all.

That's kind of how I got mine... A landlord was wheeling it out to the curb. So I took it and thanks to all people in this forum, for their input and EBAY for having the right parts, I finally got the,"LIL BEAST" running! Holy crap this is a quick machine! It took it some time for the motor to figure out what fuel and fire were, until some liquid fire was introduced to the mix. I also had to rework the carb and throttle cable, but American ingenuity solved that dilemma. Now the easy part is here.... mounting body panels. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking and froze my keester off riding and going through the gears, (taking on snow banks). I will finish that later, and will post pics in a bit. Best $175 I ever spent!
-TANK-

I was looking at the pics... and you mentioned the exhaust was a FMF gold series, how do you tell? My expansion chamber is all rusted and looks like the one in your pic. Would you happen to have a picture of that system all by itself. Im trying identify my system, but am having trouble finding any info on my. Any information is deeply appreciated.

Sorry missed your post Tankbuster.

There should be a FMF Gold Series logo embossed into the pipe. The silencer has a FMF powercore2 sticker on it but that could be removed.

DSCN4727.JPG

DSCN4728.JPG

DSCN4761.jpg

DSCN4887.JPG

I appreciate the info.. I did not see any embossed letters on the expansion chamber, and the silencer looks a lot like the one pictured above. All I know is, that it has a FMF sticker on the front. I final put a rattle can paint job on it last week, and took it for a ride on Tuesday. I will post pics in a bit if the site lets me. This was a extremely fun project, and again, Thanks to all for all the help and little tid bits to get this LIL BEAST running!
-TANK-