how to plug chop

little3mil

Sep 17, 2009
florida
there is a very fine line way of doing this to tune your motor in perfect.

start your bike, warm it up and ride down the street with a plug socket and a brand new plug in your pocket, stop, pull the used plug out, put the new one in, (now heres where people mess this process up) start it up and go 1st through atleast 5th WOT and when you hit 5th full blastyz cut the motor off and pull in the clutch, roll to a stop and take the plug out. now what you want to do is put the plug in a vise and cut the threads down almost to the bottom like the picture shows. the picture is my trail blasters plug chop at full throttle, it is perfect cant get any better than this, you want a nice and clean plug (not wet or black obv.) the strap should look like mine (almost no color very faint brown) and the light brown ring should be around the electrode, remember 1 pull thats it! its the only way your going to get dialed in perfect and be able to ride "worry free"

2nkj8tz.jpg

hope this helps B)

after seeing that pic of the perfect plug yesterday, i was hopin you'd explain this to the masses
major reps for ya !!!!!!!!

haha i feel stupid for being on this sight for so long and never doin this and not being 100% on how to thanks. Also im prob not gonna do it tell i get my exhaust and soon after that at carb and port work becuase now im runnin unbelievably rich

As some additional examples(non blaster scenarios but same results regardless), I would chime in with some scenarios to differentiate between rich, good, and lean.

In this scenario, the plug is a bit rich.......I see a lot of people that run this and think it's fine.......it's fine......but won't generate as much power and you are basically just wasting some fuel.
plug152mainmediumoi2.jpg

Now here is the same plug leaned out some. I believe the owner went from a Keihin 152 to 148(not a Blaster). This is about WHAT YOU WANT. A light wispy showing of burn on the bottom of the plug. This guy could generate a tidbit more power by running a little leaner, but this is fairly close to what I strive for in being SLIGHTLY rich for the added effect of cooling the engine and having a little wiggle room with varying factors such as humidity, temps, etc.
plug148mainmediumrh3.jpg

A retardedly rich plug is fairly obvious. I can tell this engine was sputtering because at WOT it didn't run worth the damn, hence why the oil burn area is so much larger.
AR3933-terry-wise-plug2.jpg

Here is an example of running slightly lean. The difference between running slightly rich like the 2nd pic and slightly lean like this pic is merely a matter of color. Rich will be tan/light brown, lean will be gray/white. Quite frankly, this plug reading probably generates more power than the plug in the 2nd pic and is probably closer to "perfect power" albeit running SLIGHTLY lean. Even so, I wouldn't run this on my trail blaster as it will raise engine temps some. The gray color is indicative of trace amounts of oil being burned onto the insulator, but then engine combusting it completely and burning hot enough that it burns the oily residue right off the insulator leaving only the gray result of burned off oil.
10-29-05pass1-05.jpg

Reactions: lucknuts
gonna bump this thread to get an opinion. i did my plug chop today on the blaster. what do you guys think about this one? the result of 1 WOT 6th gear run.

100_1070.jpg

gonna bump this thread to get an opinion. i did my plug chop today on the blaster. what do you guys think about this one? the result of 1 WOT 6th gear run.

100_1070.jpg

What's your engine related mods? Pics are hard to tell sometimes....as I'm sure you can even attest to comparing the photo to analyzing it in real life. Looks like it may be a tad rich on the main. Maybe try bumping up and down 1 main and see what kind of results you get.

EDIT: What's your current jet setup right now? It might be fine with that, just curious. I think the gray portion may just be shadowing from the ground strap. Typically you see a more distinct line at WOT where the burn is happening.

KOR trail port, redesigned head, boyesen reeds, trinity right bend pipe, 35mm airstriker, cfm box. i'm running a 142 main in it atm. not sure of the pilot right now. still has a noticeable hesitation so i wonder if i could mess with the needle to cure it?

carbs are not easy for me for some reason.