HELP kick starter

BlackNWhite2001

Jul 13, 2008
I took off the clutch cover to put on the oil injection block off and while the clutch cover was off, my friend turned over the kick starter and the spring unseated itself. Now we can't get the spring back in place so the kick starter won't kick back into the right position after turning the engine over. The owners manual shows a latch but I can't seem to find it. Everything else went smoothly with the oil block off so this is a really frustrating problem. Any suggestions?

Make sure that when you pull the spring up to place it in the hole that it is supposed to be in, you are pulling against spring tension, if you are not, then it will not pull the kicker back. If it will not stay in the hole while trying to get the cover back on, carefully with 2 vice grip pliers bend the end a little bit towards the way it is pulling, and it will help it get a better grip and stay in the hole.

Is the hole it's supposed to be sitting in on the engine itself? If it is, I think I see it, I just want to be sure

ok, i did that. i reseated the spring and set it so when i put the clutch cover back on the spring end was in the hole. when i tested the kick starter it didnt spring back and the c ring on the kick starter gear popped off. i dont know why. the spring was back where it was supposed to be..

when you stuck the spring in the hole, did you have to pull like crazy to get it there, or did it just slip it? If it just slipped in, then you need to pull it in a clockwise manner to get it to the hole, it will have alot of tension on it, thus when you put it together and kick it, it has tension to spring it back. Im not sure what c ring your talking about.

partimage.gifx

the c ring i mean is number 3 on the diagram and when i put the spring in i had to stretch i backwards about an inch to get it into the hole. i'll try again and see what happens

yeah i tried it again and same thing happened. It seems that the spring doesnt sit correctly when the end of the spring is positioned correctly. When it is in the correct position, the coiled part of the spring towards the inside of the kick start assembly inside of the clutch case sits at an odd angle. I'm not sure of the spring was somehow deformed or if the assembly was skewed somehow. I'll take apart the assembly this weekend and see if i can position everything correctly. Thanks a lot for the help, I'll keep the thread updated.