HELP!!! Just rebuilt blaster won't stay running

wexcr917

Aug 29, 2016
I just rebuilt my blaster today top and bottom end new crank, bearings, seals, piston, and jug at first it wouldn't start now it'll run for a few seconds then die and it's putting out white smoke but have to kick the guys out of it to get it to start getting good spark brand new reeds any ideas

If it is issuing white smoke it my be that the collar that the gear side oil seal runs on isleaking.

Did you leak test before you started the engine.

no I didn't but it has all new seals and bearings

Ahhhh the 'ole excitement got the best of you. It happens. But you need to leak test it before you start it again. Just because the seals are all new doesn't mean they 'sealed' correctly. Maybe you over/under tightened a few bolts. I'll post up a link to build your own tester.

Sounds like air / vacumn leak and or the trans oil smoke is a definite sign your seal install has failed. The clutch side is the trans side btw

Ok I went through checked all the seals and got a new spark plug it'll run now but won't idle for very long and kinda bogs when I punch the throttle any ideas I mean it's rideable but the bogging is annoying

Did you clean carburetor, check for proper float height? Cut off petcock disconnect fuel line to carb reinstall piece of fuel line to petcock, open and check for fuel flow into plastic bowl. Real slow, petcock screen stopped up remove and clean petcock screen. Install new fuel line and inline filter . Still bogging ,Clean and re-oil air filter or replace air filter depending on foams condition. Still bogging re-adjust throttle free play.

Both it was leaking on the crank seal where that bushing went in and what would cause it to wind up when I let off the throttle the key wouldn't turn it off and thank you

Floats usually set dead level when you invert the carb. I'd consult yamaha's factory spec though, for the exact height

I'm ordering a new carb it's not a factory carb or mikuni it's a cheapo from eBay

I wouldn't run that carb. Lots of people have had more problems with the cheap ones. Get OEM carb and set it up properly.

Last edited:
whatever is pg 13 rated
just pointing out pics can help people on here sometimes:)
alot of carb issues but yah get a oem carb mikuni
or upgrade not chinese