Help Bogg off idle!

Blasterdad28

Jul 2, 2016
First off new to the forum but not new to engines:) and great sight here ive been snoopin for a couple years and now I need help that I havmt been able to find through searches.
Sorry for the long post just want to cover what ive been through already and here goes!!

I bought about a year and half ago with bad rings. New top end and reeds and she was good to go (kinda). Never really had great bottom end compared to our other blaster but I just contributed that to the taller tires. Well the bottom end just got worse and worse but would still scream on the top if u could get it to open up. I finally broke it down to find a bad crank bearing and seals shot. I put new crank bearings in and new seals. Got it back together only for it to run like poo! It will idle but boggs bad tryin to rev. Its runnin extremely rich, plug is wet everytime I pull it. Check compression and was only 30psi, pulled reeds looked good, pulled the jug and rings where done. Slapped a new set of rings, still same no improvement. It always had a larger main jet in it, put factory main (smaller) in it and no improvement even lowered the needle all the way down. With my spark tester the spark gets prettier as you rev. I hooked my timing light to it to see if maybe the spark was retarding as rpm increased but my freakin light dyed after 3 blinks:(
When I pulled the jug to do the rings it had oil in the case. So I drained crank case and measured to find I lost about 50 millimeters. So I pulled the case down and checked the crank seal it was fine. Gonna say the 50mill I lost was due to residual and not getting all out. And gonna say the oil in the crankcase was where I filled the galleries with oil so the bearing where lubed on start up. I cant imagine that oil is my problem though it could be. I understand a 2 stroke will pull that oil in open throttle situations but dang shouldn't it have burnt that up by now? It's late and just got off the phone with an old 2 stroke buddy and he recomended making sure no rodents nested in my chamber after I told him I didnt get any change after pulling the can off and Im not getting any cackle from the exhaust. So gona pull the chamber in the mornig and check that. Ill report back with results.

Ready to scrap this dang thing! Anybody got any ideas? Any comments questins or concerns will be appreciated! Thanks, Jay

I see no mention of a leakdown test or if you sealed the collar to the crankshaft, known leak area.
No mention of cleaning the carb and setting the float. Or cleaning air filter.
Take carb completely apart including pilot jet, emulsion tube/main jet holder, and choke/enrichener. Enrichener could be leaking.

There should always be residual oil in the crankcase. That's how the crank gets lubed, the oil falls out of suspension from the fuel/air mixture.

Take pipe off and shake it, stock pipe has a baffle that is known to come loose. Also good time to check for mouse nest.

Reactions: Blasterdad28
Thanks for your response, I left out the fact that I pulled the carb off my running blaster with no change. Filter is clean and freshly oiled. Makes no difference with filter on or off same with lid on or off.
I don't have any means of a leak down currently, when I get the chamber off to check for restrictions im going to see what I can come up with as far as building a leak down tester. To be honest though I dont feel like it's an air leak, that should lean it out, shouldnt it?
Thanks again!

Any unmetered air will cause a lean fuel/air mixture ratio. Any air that does not enter through the air cleaner side of the carb is unmetered.
The only place a leakdown test won't detect an air leak is with the carb itself or between carb and boot.

KIK
Any unmetered air will cause a lean fuel/air mixture ratio. Any air that does not enter through the air cleaner side of the carb is unmetered.
The only place a leakdown test won't detect an air leak is with the carb itself or between carb and boot.
Exactly! Thats why I said as rich as it was runing I didnt feel like it was an air leak causing the issue:)

Exhaust chamber was stopped slam up with chopped up notebook paper, leaves and old cig boxes lol dang mice! Really surprised it ran! She is runin like a top now.
Thanks again, Jay