HELP!!! Blaster won't start

JBlaster95

Jun 4, 2010
My Blaster won't start and i dont know why. It was running fine for a while then it got to the point that it ran but with backfiring until it was warmed up. Then I thought I had an air leak and found that I did around the reed gaskets so i put rtv on them. After that it ran fine for a while then started to backfire and now wont run at all.

Any help will be very appreciated

Rep will be given

have you checked the woodruff key, behind the magnito. maybe try changing the spark plug and setting the gap on it.

I have changed spark plug didn't help.
I will check the woodruff key in the morning but what does it look like and how do i know if its good or bad. (Don't know much about the electrical part of blasters.)

Rep Given

the woodruff key is behind the magnito/flywheel. you have too remove the flywheel to check it, but this can be a pain with out the right tools. first is the flywheel nut whitch is best taken off with an air gun. to take the flywheel off you usaly need a fly wheel puller, after all that you should see a groove inside the flywheel and the crankshaft, in this slot there should be a tiny piece off metal or lead or whatever its made of. if its in 2 peices then it broke. still with me??? and if its not the woodruff i would also check the stator making sure that its not drilled or an after market one.

Another thing you might want to check is the wiring harness from the cdi to the ignition coil and stator. Check and make sure it isnt bare wire anywhere or being grounded out. My harness got against the stock header on mine and caused backfiring. Also check the ground wires at the ignition coil and voltage regulator for a good connection.

I got it to start today but it only ran for about 5 seconds then shut off. I had to use the choke to start in on a 95 degree day and never had to use it before. When i tried to start it back up no luck. One of the reeds isn't completely sealing because it has a tiny chip on the corner could that be the problem.

Any reed damage is bad, they should be replaced. I doubt that is your starting problem, tho. The backfiring could certainly indicate a timing issue, as stated before, but might be caused by the reeds too.

You might as well check for crap/water in your carb too. Remove the carb without tilting it much and remove the bowl, keeping things in a vertical position so you can check out the contents on the float bowl.

Another thing to consider, although not a good one, is that you have very little compression left after running your engine too hot for too long. Leaks that are unnoticed or ignored lead to a very lean running condition that can melt a piston, ruin rings, and/or score cylinder walls... I'd check the compression... And definitely NOT run it with damaged reeds or any sort of suspected leaks.

Get you a compression tester and check the compression. Also if the reed are bad it could prevent it from starting. Also I would get a leakdown tester, especially if you have to tear the motor down to rebuild the top end. You could still have an air leak somewhere which would make it run lean and could cause it to backfire, and since it did start with the choke on it could mean that it is severly lean. Have you added any performance mods, i.e. new pipe, removed airbox lid, etc. and did you rejet for them.