Help Blaster won't idle (tried everything)

joedirt

May 23, 2017
I have a 1993 blaster, stock except a fmf pipe. Oil inject delete, running 32:1. It has the tors but it's all unplugged. The main jet is 260, pilot is 32.5. Compression is 110 psi. I did a engine pressure/leak test and found a leak in the intake manifold. Which I fixed. I took the carb off and completely cleaned and blew out everything. I even ran a wire through the jets. I can get it running but it won't idle. I have to hold the throttle about 1/4 the way open and it also kinda bogs when you punch it. I've tried to adjust the idle screw on top of the tors, with no change. Any help would be great.

what about airscrew setting?
broke/ chipped reeds
flywheel key/timing
free flowing gas from tank to carb
float height in carb
110 psi on a good comp gauge is a little bit low but it should still start/idle.
should be at at least 120 psi on a healthy engine.

what about airscrew setting?
broke/ chipped reeds
flywheel key/timing
free flowing gas from tank to carb
float height in carb
110 psi on a good comp gauge is a little bit low but it should still start/idle.
should be at at least 120 psi on a healthy engine.
1) Airscrew is set at 1.5 turns out. I even tried it at 2.5 out no change.
2)Reeds were checked all ok.
3) I did put in a newer flywheel and stator and the key wasn't bent or anything.
4) I installed a clear gas hose to make sure fuel is flowing.
5) Float height is set to 20mm.
I'm at a loss.

Last edited:
The large screw on the TORS unit can present problems by failing to lift the carb slide.

Take the carb off and look to see if it really is lifting the slide.

Then try this..

Idle speed adjusting.
Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain
when the screw is cracked open.
Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.
Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.
Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+
Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.
Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.
Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .
if the air screw ends up being more than 2 1/2 turns out the pi;]lot is too big.
if the air screw is less than 1/2 a turn out the pilot is too small

The large screw on the TORS unit can present problems by failing to lift the carb slide.

Take the carb off and look to see if it really is lifting the slide.

Then try this..

Idle speed adjusting.
Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain
when the screw is cracked open.
Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.
Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.
Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+
Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.
Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.
Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .
if the air screw ends up being more than 2 1/2 turns out the pi;]lot is too big.
if the air screw is less than 1/2 a turn out the pilot is too small
I am having similar idling problems had some one put a rebuild kit on carb was fine for 2 days or so and now it will not idle again tried riding it then it stalled out and carb is not leaking gas a pretty steady flow

I am having similar idling problems had some one put a rebuild kit on carb was fine for 2 days or so and now it will not idle again tried riding it then it stalled out and carb is not leaking gas a pretty steady flow
The carb is leaking gas I mean

Remove carb remove float bowl remove needle. Look at needle tip. Does it have a groove in the rubber (resilent tipped) needle? Yes > replace needle no> take out seat, use Q-tip with very small amount of toothpaste, clean and polish seat inside, wash out residue with hot water, reinstall seat, check for gas leakage into float, replace if you can hear gas inside float, reset/ check for proper level. Flush / purge supply line to carb inlet, reinstall carb✌️Peace