HELMET REVIEW THREAD!

tfaith08

Feb 24, 2014
SW Alabama
I have 2 helmets that I own that I'd like to do a review on and a 3rd that I've worn for a short period of time and then witnessed someone else wreck with it.

HJC (unknown model) $89.95 from local ATV dealership. Paid $0

Uses a polycarbonate shell and single layer foam padding. The inner comfort liner is thin foam and does well for the price. Has 6 intake, 3 exhaust vents. It fits somewhat snug yet is still comfortable. The visor is long enough to keep dirt from falling on you and also blocks the sun without being in the way. The highest ratng is DOT.

PROs
-Fitment is as expected
-Easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble
-Visor is of sufficient length and not in the way
-Large area for goggles

CONs
-Does not flow much air
-Cannot remove strap pads to wash seperately
-Some graphic designs are ugly as sin
-Allows sweat to get in your eyes

Verdict: Can't go wrong for under $100

Side note: This is the pass-along helmet. One guy purchased it and gave it to a friend when he got something better. That friend passed it on to me. I'll do the same when someone else needs a helmet. The initials will be on the helmet, as well as the phone number for the first guy so that he can see where all it has ended up over the course of time. Cool IMO.

Fox (V2) $299.99 online, (owner) paid $319.99 in store
Uses a fiberglass shell and dual layer EPS liner padding. The inner comfort liner is somewhat thin, but still sufficient. It is easy to disassemble and wash. Has 10 intakes, 4 exhaust. The fit is too small for normal sizing. It is common to go with a larger size than normal when using Fox helmets (you need a large, order an XL). The visor is somewhat short for my taste, yet the owner says he'd gotten used to it. There is a decent amount of airflow and keeps you pretty cool. Has DOT and Snell 2010 (Snell = good) ratings.

PROs
-Fitment is great if sized properly
-Relatively easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble
-Large area for goggles
-Moderately cool, especially if riding at speed
-Most graphics are great in most opinions

CONs
-Sizing is small. This can frustrate some if they have to exchange it.
-For $300, the comfort is not all there.

Verdict: Great helmet for the weight, airflow, and safety for $300, especially since they can be found for under $200 through reputable online distributors.

Side note: The guy (my cousin) who actually owned the helmet was in a horrible accident where he cased a whoop while sideways on a YZ450F. He was going to wreck either way, unfortunately, he got the short end of both sticks. His head hit very hard in-between 2 whoops and he broke his collar bone. He did walk away, but the helmet was destroyed. That's what they're meant to do. It's likely that it saved his life.

Fox (V4) $589.99 online, paid $289.99 +S&H
Uses a carbon fiber/kevlar shell with dual layer liner and thick foam cmfort liner, as well as MIPS (multi impact protection system). The firment is incredible and there are no pressure points whatsoever, even after having the helmet on as long as an hour at a time. The airflow is unreal and very even across all sides. Has 16 intakes and 10 exhaust vents (fox lists 15 online but 16 in owners manual. Also, I can count). It can be a little tight getting it on and off, but that's likely designed as such to keep the helmet on in the event of an impact.

PROs
-Fitment is perfect if sized properly
-Unbelievalby comfortable
-Can disassemble for cleaning in under 10 seconds.
-Goggle opening is very open. Nearly impossible to see with goggles on.
-Great airflow at any speeds
-Modern graphics
-Comes with an extra visor
-Very balanced while in use

CONs
-Sizing is small. This can frustrate some if they have to exchange it.
-The foam insert at the mouthpiece is nearly impossible to get back in if it ever comes out.
-It's light, but not $600 price tag light

Verdict: There are strong competitors in the $500+ range, but it can be an absolute steal when next year's model rolls around. No matter what you get in this price range, it's going to be safe if nothing else. This is the most comfortable helmet that I've ever had on BY FAR.

Reactions: Fast6hand
Fly Trekker- Dual sport helmet
$140ish new got it for $65 from a friend of a friend. I don't know about anyone else, but riding with glasses on can really be a pain. Even with the goggles that fit over glasses I never liked. So this seemed like a good alternative and seemed practical.

Pros:
-Only need one helmet for all your riding and for a pretty decent price
- Visor and wind shield can both easily be removed if you don't want them on and it doesn't take long at all to do so.
- Lining snaps in/out in 10sec and easy to clean
- 12 air vents and has great airflow
- So far its taken quite a beating and still looks nearly new
- Wind shield offers superior visibility and keeps the mud off your face, can also be opened a crack and really lets air flow

Cons:
- Even though it can be used on the street and track, its not as good as the helmets specifically designed for one or the other. It blends the two together and it doesn't fully combine the "best of both worlds" so to speak.
- Visor is rather short.
- Black was a poor color choice. Makes it even hotter
- Having a wind shield instead of goggles can bet irritating in dust environments because a lot of that still gets in.
- Helmet is tight around the crown of my head but still comfy.

VERDICT- It wasn't everything I was hoping it was going to be but it still gets the job done really well. I can be extremely versatile. For the most part it fixed the glasses problem but in the really rough stuff it shakes them up and down. I'm still really happy with its performance.