Hello from Iowa!

Birddog

Feb 4, 2014
After lurking for a while I figured it was time to join.
I gave in to peer pressure from my neighbors, who are into 3 wheelers. I couldn't bring myself to buy something that was missing a wheel from the factory though.
I found this one on CL for an obscene price with a burnt up top end. After about 2 hours and $175 in parts I have a nice stock bike.
It still has some issues. Needs tires, rear brakes and it will only run with the headlight on but for a 13 year old bike a little troubleshooting is expected.

Thanks for the help so far!
20140201_153335.jpg

Reactions: cbaber
Welcome to the forum. Running with the light on might be some wires crossed up under the hood.

welcome to BF birdog.

i agree with mike above, check all connections coming out of the stator, right above the shifter, and all at the headlight for color to color matches.
pay close attention to any black/white stripe wires, they should only go to the kill and key switches, someone possibly used a blk/wht as a ground for the headlight ?
solid blacks are the grounds

welcome to BF birdog.

i agree with mike above, check all connections coming out of the stator, right above the shifter, and all at the headlight for color to color matches.
pay close attention to any black/white stripe wires, they should only go to the kill and key switches, someone possibly used a blk/wht as a ground for the headlight ?
solid blacks are the grounds

Thanks a lot!
Oddly, it ran without the lights on today.
I'm going to go through it and basically service the whole bike this weekend.
It wasn't abused bit it wasn't well cared for either.

Thanks a lot!
Oddly, it ran without the lights on today.
I'm going to go through it and basically service the whole bike this weekend.
It wasn't abused bit it wasn't well cared for either.

Its always a good idea to go over a new machine well. Its better to see what you have with your own eyes, than take the PO's word for it.

Just check everything, make a list of whats wrong, then start attacking it. Its worth it to be safe and have peace of mind.

Its always a good idea to go over a new machine well. Its better to see what you have with your own eyes, than take the PO's word for it.

Just check everything, make a list of whats wrong, then start attacking it. Its worth it to be safe and have peace of mind.

I hear ya. The only info I got from the PO was that the jug and piston were cashed and it had no rear brakes.
The goal is to get it adjusted to stock spec and then start playing with mods.