Hello all-Newbie here and have a quick clutch question ?

2strokejunkie

Apr 9, 2018
I just put a Tusk clutch in my '97 Blaster-wondering if the clutch adjustment rod is suppose to have a little play in and out 1/16'' approximate when adjusted ? Seems like it should be snug-btw the ball bearing is in there like it's suppose to be. The clutch rod looks to be a little worn. All the steels are staggered and the fibers are all the same except 1 thin one as the 2nd fiber-I also reused the oring spacer just like stock.

'97 Blaster-installed a new Tusk clutch with hd springs/staggered the steels, all frictions the same except the 2nd is thin like the original-reused the oring spacer like the originals. My issue is with the adjustment pushrod-it looks kind of worn and I will be replacing the inner/outer and ball but it seems after I adjust and torque it down to 5.1ft lbs, it has about 1/16 of play in and out/ like it floats in there-Is this normal ? Also when I do the adjustment-I turn the screw when I hold tension on the rod until the point is even with the raised line rib in the center of the case-is this correct ? Thanks Marty

Did you line up the dots on pressure plate and basket per the manual ?

full

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Yes I did-I rode it for 4hrs after getting it back together, I put a new cable on and had to push clutch arm forward pretty far to get the cable hooked up-i couldn't adjust it at the lever, not sure if it's just cause it's all new, It feels good but engages almost all the way out. I guess once it wears in I should get some slack and be able to adjust ? I'm running Yamalube 10w40 motor oil-still seems like it has a slight slip in 5th and 6th, wonder if running Bel Ray 80/90 gear saver would be better ?

Yes I did-I rode it for 4hrs after getting it back together, I put a new cable on and had to push clutch arm forward pretty far to get the cable hooked up-i couldn't adjust it at the lever, not sure if it's just cause it's all new, It feels good but engages almost all the way out. I guess once it wears in I should get some slack and be able to adjust ? I'm running Yamalube 10w40 motor oil-still seems like it has a slight slip in 5th and 6th, wonder if running Bel Ray 80/90 gear saver would be better ?

sounds like....
the cable is too short or not routed correctly ?
and the slipping your feeling is it not disengaging completely, and going to burn up your clutch if you keep riding it.
different oil isn't going to help.