heeeellllpppp carb womt stop leaking gas

fast02blaster

Nov 3, 2012
newark delaware
aight i got a 2002 yamaha blaster board 30 over everything else is stock sometimes it would leak gas out of the tube off the carb but stop. now dad took it riding today and he said it was just steady comeing out of the tube idk what to do do i need to do a full rebuild on the carb or are the floats sticking and dumping too much fuel and input would be great

check the float for cracks use the tooth paste and cottoc swab trick to clean the seat for the needle and a can or 2 of brake cleaner

Floats have been known to fall out of adjustment, if cleaning the needle and seat don't work, check the float level.

I woudn't replace the jets or the long needle that goes in the slide. those two things aren't something you want knock off brand replacements of.

Thanks I wana pull it apart and clean it an adjust it I'm new too 2 stroke / carbs in general so I'm trying to figure this all out

read and re-read the links above.
keep us posted on how it goes.

welp ordered a carb kit just to be safe dont wanapull it apart and then realise i need something but i also decided since im gonna have it aprt putting a new main jet in cuz im gonna take the air box lid off jup up to a 240 250 and see how it goes. The think i dont know is how to adjust the needle i see everyone is saying prolly dumb question but idk if any one has a pic or anything would be helpful thanks

There will be no need to adjust the needle if it is on the stock setting of the middle clip.

If you do ever need to adjust it, down inside the slide there is a removable clip.

The spring has to be lifted up out of the way and the clip removed, this will allow removal of the cable. This job is easier if you have 3 hands.

Take out the 2 phillips head screws and remove the retaining plate.

The needle can now be lifted out, take notice the position of the plastic washer around the needle, it has to go back in the same place, above the clip if my memory serves me right.

The clip can now be taken off and replaced where you need it.

Beware the clip has a habit of taking unannounced flying lessons, I usually surround it with a bit of rag to stop it taking off.

Reassemble in the reverse order.

By the way the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

aight guys so tonight i pulled the carb off cleaned it and rebuilt it adjusted the idle screw and all q tipped the seat for the pin everything and rejetted for the open lid on air box sounds nasty pulls like crazy only issue is feels little sluugish in 4th gear could it be a plug havent changed it or did plug chop yet got too late but it alos is still leaking gas out of the over flow tube but only when pet weiner is set on reserve i dnt understand it any input would be great

Replace or rebuild the fuel petcock,replace the float needle and seat and set the float level.that leaves nothing to question or chance.
once in a while mine stil leaks after all that,i gently tap it with a deadblow hammer and all is good.still happens once in a great while tho,if i set the float lever a lil lower than factory settings,it doesnt happen.
others will be along soon for sure.With advice.just my 1 cent tho

Cool thanks I'm fine with it leaking on reserve but it like steady stream out over flow tube I just rebuilt it all tonight but a lot of people said use the factory needle cuz o Ed that come in most kits are junk so I didn't replace it but maybe I will and try chance the seat for the needle does it just push out ?

When you remove the seat there should be an O ring under it sometimes they can split and allow gas to flow even if the needle is working correctly.

Is the rubber tip of the needle hard, if so it needs replacing.

I replaced the meddle under the float already the only needle I didn't replace is the one connected to the tors too that comes into the carb and to remove the seat what do I just push on it out with some thing?

I replaced the meddle under the float already the only needle I didn't replace is the one connected to the tors too that comes into the carb and to remove the seat what do I just push on it out with some thing?

Your leaking gas has nothing to do with the long skinny brass needle that is inside the slide which the silver tors box connects to. That shouldn't need changed maybe a different clip position, but not changed.

Some thing's I can think of (the reason) for it leaking gas in the reserve position is you still do not have the float adjusted correctly or it's sticking, or the float has a hole in it and is filling up with gas. I see you replaced the float pieces-(brass metal piece with o-ring) that the float valve (little brass piece with rubber pointed piece and wire clip). Maybe your petcock isn't flowing good in the on position enough to cause an overflow, but in the reserve position there is good flow.

turn gas off-Pull the gas line off of carb- get a container to catch the gas-open the petcock to the on position- good flow? now to the reserve position, better flow? If so either rebuild the petcock or replace it.

Now back to the gas leak, I'm betting you have a bad float with a hole in it, maybe pinched/torn oring on the new valve seat, or still haven't adjusted to the proper float level, it has to be one of those, there is nothing else it can be!