Gears not engaging (False Neutrals)

Stingreh

Jan 7, 2014
Hey Guys,

I'm having an issue with my Blaster. When I shift gears it goes into a false neutral. It takes a lot of shifts to be able to find a gear. I pulled the right side cover off and inspected the shifter components. What I found was that the shift shaft slides in and out about an 1/8th of an inch. When the shifter is pushed in towards the engine that the hook that grabs the posts on the shifter star is to far away and doesn't grab and lock it into gear. when I slide the shifter shaft out(On the left side slide it away from the bike) then the hook grabs and it engages the gear. There is no up and down play in the shift shaft just the in and out. I did notice that there is a silver "button" on the inside of the case that looks like it would butt up against the shift shaft that would hold it to where it needs to be but obviously is not doing the job. It doesn't look damaged so not sure why that would be happening. Of course I may be totally off base and it has nothing to do with the shifting function. First two stroke motor I've worked on. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Are all these false N when trying to ride? Or engine off, sitting still?
If it shifts with the shaft pulled slightly to the right, pull the shaft and put a thin washer (machine bushing) on shaft. Thinner than plain flat washer.

Most problems I've seen is the shaft sliding to far to right, slight wear in clutch cover.

This all presumes the claw (pawl) is not sloppy, shift star is tight to drum (screw), all springs and rest of shift mechinism is in good condition, not worn, broke, bent.