Frozen hydro brake

Dash

Mar 3, 2017
During the process of changing the rear pads on my 05 bike, I went to install the new pads and couldn't get them to open wide enough to fit around the rotor. After inspection, I noticed the slide pin that mounts the bracket to the caliper had froze up. Anyone got any advice on how to free it up?

Those pins just need to be removed. They slide right through the rubber gromets. Remove, clean, lube with grease and reinstall.

Its not the pins that go bad. its the grease that gets dried up and never re applied before it get corroded.

I've tried heating the pin up and sliding it out and it, still won't budge. I'll try soaking it in oil and see if that helps. If I can get it out, I'm just going to rebuild the whole caliper and re grease it every season and hope that prevents this from happening again.

the actual piston that hydraulic brake fluid pushes brake pads out, go bad to.
including any piston hydro brake set up even on your cars/trucks/street bike's.
if you cannot push piston back into bore to fit new pads it is bad and or toast/needs attention..
Many calipers go bad with hydro brakes:)

My piston is definitely still good, and functions as it should. It's definitely my slide pins that are dry

Reactions: speedyslyder