flywheel lightening and carb boring

The tape would help.but the chips from machining like to collect behind the mag..where im pointing with the pick
Screenshot_2014-08-03-11-14-40.png

i've seen a flywheel lightened in person, more than once, wanna guess where ? :)
there's even a video of it, which shows it's more involved than just removing the screws.
the magnets get numbered for proper replacement, and removed every time, for various reasons.

KOR. ive seen the youtube video several times lol. Ken says in the video he removes the magnets because it takes to long to remove the chips, and because it chatters so bad, but I don't have any problems with it chattering so i don't remove them.

Reactions: Awk08
KOR. ive seen the youtube video several times lol. Ken says in the video he removes the magnets because it takes to long to remove the chips, and because it chatters so bad, but I don't have any problems with it chattering?

good job doing your homework !

If you do not remove the magnets, you will be decreasing their magnetism.

Read up on loss of magnetism from hammering.

If you do not remove the magnets, you will be decreasing their magnetism.

Read up on loss of magnetism from hammering.
i did some reading on the loss of magnetism. and that is something i didn't know about, thanks blaaster i learned something today because of you. but i have never experienced any ignition problems on blasters that i have ran lightened flywheels on. after flywheel lightening they run the same as they did before but also being snappier and more responsive.

Lightened flywheels are snappier and more responsive, but attempt to put the engine under extra load as in hills and heavy going and you will be needing to change more often.

My understanding with lightening flywheels is that it is used to promote acceleration by removing rotational mass, very useful in drag engines.

A lighter flywheel can be a disadvantage if riding hilly, sandy or muddy, terrain, the flywheel looses inertia which can call for lower gearing/excessive changing.

Lightened flywheels are snappier and more responsive, but attempt to put the engine under extra load as in hills and heavy going and you will be needing to change more often.

My understanding with lightening flywheels is that it is used to promote acceleration by removing rotational mass, very useful in drag engines.

A lighter flywheel can be a disadvantage if riding hilly, sandy or muddy, terrain, the flywheel looses inertia which can call for lower gearing/excessive changing.

The disadvantage of a lighter flywheel is going to hurt you more on a 20hp motor then on a 30 to 40hp motor!

I also run a lightend flywheel an ride nasty rutted an hilly trails were the low end grunt is useful, but I have seen that with stock an lightend that the bike comes alive quicker with lightend then with the stock flywheel even when bogged, no need to down shift or clutch just hit throttle an it comes right alive, I run 13,40 gears with 20 tires, but im also on a built engine in the very high 30 to low 40hp range.

Do you think the balance shaft helps with keeping the inertia up on the crank? As opposed to a bike engine that you normally add weight to flywheel for woods riding, as they dont have heavy balance shaft swinging around in there

i started this thread to advertise a service i want to provide, so if your arnt interested in the services i provide or if you dont have any questions to do with my services please dont post in this thread

thread cleaned of all non related posts, sorry for the derailment.

Do you still do flywheel lightening?

Interesting as far as KOR doing it, I find it strange that the one I just got from him showed up with a lot of shavings stuck to the magnets. I numbered, and removed the magnets to clean everything up before the install, but honestly didn't think much of it at the time.