Fitting a Yamaha YFZ 450 CCP steering stabilizer on a blaster!

79 bronco

Moderator & Self Custom Psycho
Staff member
Apr 9, 2010
I don"t know???????
I'm posting some pics on how i'm going to mount my Yamaha YFZ 450 CCP steering stabilizer damper too my blaster..

1st pic, I have to move my brake lines..lol

100_7001.jpg

Just for fun i bolted it up using the YFZ 450 mount, it did go on but did not set as flat or look very secure, and the rod was about 3/4" too long. Look at the next 2 pics..

100_7012-1.jpg

100_7014-1.jpg

Next i set some 1/8 plate on the frame and the steering stabilizer on top an pushed it as far back away from the steering stem as i could and the rod was about 1/2" too long. If you look in the pic u can see that the steering stabilizer is now hitting the upper bumper mount, so i cant push it any farther away from the steering stem.

100_7016.jpg

I placed some 3/8 plate between the frame and steering stabilizer and now the stabilizer will go a bit over the upper bumper mount, but now the stabilizer base is hitting the frame..
100_7017.jpg

Stabilizer base is hitting the frame..
100_7019.jpg

Sanded the corners off of the stabilizer base.
100_7027-1.jpg

With the corners sanded i can move it farther away from the steering stem, and i think i can make this work.
100_7028-1.jpg

But i have to be careful not to hit the frame with the rod..
100_7030.jpg

This is about how close the rod will come to the frame when i'm finished.
100_7032-1.jpg

looks like it was made to fit in there !

A pic of the practice plate a made.

100_7036.jpg

This is probably how it will fit!
100_7033.jpg

100_7035.jpg

Because of the this frame gusset i cant use 2 of the mounting holes on the stabilizer base, so i will drill and tap a new hole in the middle and just in front of the frame gusset. A pic of the frame gusset giving me a problem.lol
100_7037.jpg

The base can be removed and i was thinking about not using it, but it puts the stabilizer at the perfect angle with the steering stem.

that looks like a must on that style of dampner, as it lacks the heim like joints the stick style use to allow off angle mounting

A pic of my galvanized pattern and my SS mount. I'm lazy and i dont want to have to paint the mount, so i decided to make it out of 12 gage stainless steel. Now all i have to do is brush some paint on the frame and weld.
fit1.jpg

On the back side of the mount i marked where the frame gusset is and the 2 front stabilizer base mounting holes are, and it wont work. So i will drill and tap a new hole in the middle and just in front of the frame gusset, i have a center punch mark where im going to put the new mounting hole.
fit2.jpg

fit3.jpg

fit4.jpg

fit5.jpg

Doug, looks interesting! I know you'll "machine" it in there properly! Do I see a brake line leak on(kicker side)?

No way to put in in the rear ?

Doug, looks interesting! I know you'll "machine" it in there properly! Do I see a brake line leak on(kicker side)?

No way to put in in the rear ?

LOL I had to move the brake lines from in front of the steering stem to behind it, and the lines are only finger tight..

It looks like it will fit in the rear.. more pics, VVVVVVVV

In this pic the stabilizer is low on the steering stem, and is just hanging there, and the rod is very close to the frame, but it can be made to fit.
100_7051.jpg

In this pic its high on the steering stem, and the rod is close to the pipe. I dont know if the heat from the pipe is good for the steering stabilizer.
100_7053.jpg

I spun it around so the rod is away from the pipe, and placed a plate between the frame and steering stabilizer. This may work too, but it does hit my clutch cable, and the rod has to be flipped.
100_7055.jpg

The direction want the stabilizer in front of the steering stem.
100_7056.jpg

i like it in the front, away from any heat off the pipe ! :)

and gee thanx, now i'm hungry for pizza :(

Yes them directions, sure do say front! Had the blasty out today with the moose stick on , awesome! so smooth now, can't wait for the mountain!

Got the mount welded on and i brushed some paint on the bare metal. The silver paint don't match very good but its better then bare rusty metal, and will do until the day comes when i decide to strip the frame down and get it powder coated.

100_7060.jpg

Pointed straight VVVVVVV

100_7066.jpg

Pointed straight VVVVVVV

100_7061.jpg

Turned left VVVVVVV

100_7063.jpg

Turned left VVVVVVV

100_7062.jpg

Turned right VVVVVV

100_7065.jpg

Turned right VVVVVV