First post...lots to do but need guidance

4thgenceli

Sep 4, 2015
Holy smokes. There's a lot to discover about this thing.

I have a 2003 Blaster I picked up for next to nothing. History is unknown. It does not start. I kicked it over with very little to no compression. I was planning on doing a top & bottom end. The transmission seems OK as I was able to put it in gears without a problem. First gear and sitting on it I would roll down the driveway (that's how much compression there is).

My plan of action is as follows:
Make room in the garage to pull it in and remove the motor.
Give the motor a good bath to clean it up and get rid of any excess grease & grime
Try to compression test (right now it won't turn over for some reason)
Tear down and see what I have and rebuild as needed.

I see there are numerous ways to break in the motor after a rebuild. I was planning on going with Ken's method. Any advise on this?

I'll be disabling the TORS at the advise of a buddy (if not already done)

I think the oil injection is removed since I don't see a tank anywhere. I'll be taking this off as well and just using premix since we have a YZ85 as well.

Any guidance on the rebuild?

Reactions: Awk08
Leak test the motor prior to disassembling it. Make sure on compression test the tester is tight in plug hole, and kick it with throttle wide open til gauge stops. Good too end should read around 120psi.

Once cylinder is pulled check the cylinder for size, taper, and out of round. Also check the rod for play up and down. You should have a little side to side play.

There is a blaster manual on the site that gives you all the specs/tolerances.

Top is torn off....and the bottom is locked up tight. Undecided on which way to go right now (rebuild bottom or get a new motor).

Warning...it's ugly inside.

0905151858b_zps149yuooa.jpg

0905151859_zpsu2ddc0cq.jpg

It's ugly but we seen worse.. You can buy a new bottom end but there is more than enough info on the forum here as well as good people to help you out to rebuild it (most of it) yourself. That's if it needs a new bottom end but by the looks of the rust on the crank it probably does ? You will certainly need a new top end also. Piston, re bore/hone, top end bearing, pin, gaskets etc. If you were to buy a complete bottom end than you don't really know how much life is left in it. Re building your own is self satisfying and you know that everything is in spec and will last unlike a used bottom end that may be on its last leg..

There is a local ATV repair guy that will rebuild the top & bottom end for me for (I think) a reasonable cost. He quoted $400 if he provides all parts & labor. I'm leaning towards that right now since he does offer a warranty and I'd like to just get it up & running so I can keep up with the young'n on his YZ85.

I would jump on that, read the warranty fine print though.

also depends on how bad the bottom end is. he probably did not add in rebuilding/replacing a crank or anything

Be careful... he might be using a wiseco crank assembly. I prefer a rebuilt stock crank.

So this would not be an ideal kit then?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-BLAS...006-/271200219687?hash=item3f24caf227&vxp=mtr

I don't know what size piston I need yet. I'll be pulling the lower end out of the chassis this weekend to start tearing it apart. Then i can at least mic the piston & cylinder to figure out what size piston is in there and what size to go to.

I'm wondering though if the bottom end is fine. It used to rotate & turn. Once I get it out and get the piston off I'll dig deeper into it.

**EDIT**
Just discovered it's not a wiesco piston. Time to keep lookin'

Last edited: