First Build advice,Etc wanted.

D

DragRacer383

Hey Guys (Gals?)

I picked up a 98 blaster that was rode hard,and not taken care of. I have been looking over the site since I got it and have fixed a lot of the stuff. I am painting it now. Anyway It fires up easy, and runs out pretty good., But I think it is down on power. Maybe not,but I want more. So here is my plan,and I would like advice or comments on it.

I have a full CT racing exhaust on the way (stock now) I hope that was a good call. For $70 I think I couldn't go wrong.

Uni air filter to replace the rotten one in there now.

I want to rebuild the top end so I know what I got. I was looking to swap to the Vito's Super Stock piston. they claim 5hp gain. Comments on that.

Drill the Air box lid for more air. Advice on holes etc?

I would like to shave the head. I keep 100 octane low lead gas around , so thats not a problem, How much should be removed? I don't want border line, just more power safely.

Reeds I was thinking of swapping to something not to expensive, but better. Maybe the Vito's carbon flex reeds.

Jetting, I could really use some advice on what jets,needle,etc I should pick up and a good starting point with all this.

Thanks Glen

if u want to maximize your power....u should send ur cylinder (to get ported)off with your head, and get your flywheel lightened....and you'll probably need a new carb......heres the guy who did my work...great guy great work
flotekperformance - Homeand i would get a hotwire coil.....

I appreciate the advice, but thats a little more than I want.
I'm new to 2 smokes , and this is kind of a learning project.
What I have outlined is about all I want to tackle for now.
The blaster is something for me to play with and the wife to chase the kids on.

I may do a little porting myself., I'm not new to porting,just 2 strokes. I have done Chevy,Ford,Cadillac,Oldsmobile,Briggs. I think I can do some mild work, that will help flow some with out hurting performace.

my advice is get a carb. depending on how radical you want to go later should determin what you buy. either a 30mm or 34mm either way you can get one pre jetted and then fine tune from there. i don't know about the power piston. holes in the airbox are fine as long as you jet for them. i have aktive carbon fiber reeds and love them. but just a regular set of boysen reeds will do the trick. .2 should be fine to shave off there is a shave/compression thred somewhere on the site you can look @. hope some of this helps.

i saw on a post on here you can shave .02 and run 93 octane but have seen on other forums you can shave. .035 and run 93 octane. so you should be fine with the 100 octane. please don't shave .2 off.......