Engine trouble

NDADIRT

Oct 17, 2008
Nelson County Virginia
Well I'm new here but excited to have found this site. We had a sound in the engine on one of my Blasters so we cut it off and towed it out of the woods. I tood the side cover off and found some old pieces of broken spring in with the gears and it looked like there was no damage done so I put it back together but went to crank it and it was like the motor was stuck. So I'm not used to working on these so much so I had my friend who is look at it. He took the top off the motor to check the piston. It was all in good shape only it would make almost one full rotation then stop. It seems like something in the bottom is stopping it. Only thing is when you take the ballancer gear off it will make the full rotation like nothing is wrong. Also the balancer will turn with no problem as long as it is not turning the crank gear. Why will it not make a full turn when they are together. We made sure the dots on both gears were lined up and everything. I hope someone has an easy fix for me.

check to make sure that no pieces of that spring made it into the crank..
my friends banshee blows up all the time.. and he always finds pieces of piston in the crank..
so its a possibility that a piece of the spring made it into the crank

..you might just have to take the top end off..look down in the crank..and if you dont see anything and its still doing it..it might have dropped under so then youll have to take the bottom end off

what was the spring from? the kick starter or the shift detent?
are you sure that it's not the tranny that's stopping the crank? is the tranny in neutral when it sticks? try disengaging the clutch by pushing the arm forward. if it still sticks, then the only thing it could be is something in the crank bearing/rod bearing.
either way, yes, you have to split the cases unless you can figure out a way to thoroughly flush the bottom end out w/ oil.

The spring pieces look sorta like the kick starter spring but the spring in it is not broken so I'm not sure where they came from. My friend was riding it and jumped it, when it landed the noise started.