Engine rebuild

bigcasey123

Jan 21, 2018
okay so I posted on here a few days ago about exploring my build option and my carb selection. The guy told me it was stock that he knew of except the oil injection was scrapped. Well after inspecting my engine today I found out it was ported. Also the tors wires were cut. It has an fmf gold series pipe (painted black with stock silencer so I thought it was the stock head pipe). And boysen reeds. I am not sure if the head is stock or not so I took pictures. I have no idea if it's shaved or reshaped or neither. The main jet in the carb said 240 on it and had a small hole cut in the air box. So I will upload pictures of the head and ports to ask if they are quality ports or if I should have them touched up and if the head is stock
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    597.7 KB · Views: 147
So what are my next steps. Any suggestions on the cylinder or head would be appreciated. I plan on getting v once reeds and reed cage. Also an fmf silencer (I doubt I'll gain any power just want a better sound). I'm going to rebuild it with a wiseco piston and bore it (idk how much yet).

So I bought this bike used and only ride it for 4ish hours before it blew. Will it be significantly faster with a fresh top end. It stopped running when the compression was gone so I figured I only got to ride it when it was tired. And what are my next performance steps.

the head is stock.....
and not sure why the base gasket is stuck to the base of cylinder
it should have stayed stuck on the cases
and that cylinder is nasty needs to be bored to next size and fitted with proper size piston
or looked at to be determined by a shopo_O

Porting could be better but can't see exhaust port. Bottom of transfer ports should/can match gasket.
X-2 on bore to next size. Nothing gained by going Max bore !!

it looks neglected hard.
even the head looks sh.itty.
you need to freshen up that top end
and take care of it better then other person.
new air filter
leak test
the whole nine...
again whoever was running that thing was abusing it:eek:
search on here for great advice a little.
If not i can link it but it really is your full time job lol:p

Yeah no dobt it was ran hard. I think I'm gonna have ken O'Conner do his head rechambering on mine and as long as there's some room get it bored out and the ports cleaned up.(the exhaust was coated in carbon so you could see nothing) I have a local guy who does it. So was this motor weak by the time I bought it if I only rode it for 4ish hours.

Yeah no dobt it was ran hard. I think I'm gonna have ken O'Conner do his head rechambering on mine and as long as there's some room get it bored out and the ports cleaned up.(the exhaust was coated in carbon so you could see nothing) I have a local guy who does it. So was this motor weak by the time I bought it if I only rode it for 4ish hours.
Might have been on the way out.
As to the exhaust port, measure from the top of the cylinder to top of port and measure the width. Someone should chime in with the stock specs.

Okay I can do that. The cylinder is not at my house tho it's in my workshop down the road so I'll see if I can measure it this evening.