Engine noise

blaster85

Apr 14, 2011
Iowa
Im new to yamaha. I just bought an 04 and 05 blaster. The 04 has a sound coming from the motor that the 05 does not have. It sounds similar to playing cards atached to ur kids spokes on there bike tire. (sorry thats the best i can describe it). Does anyone know what this could be. It seems to run great. Thanks

It could be the beginnings of piston slap.

It could be an improperly assembled top end/wrist pin

It could be FOD... something embedded in the head that the piston is BARELY touching and making a clicking sound

It could be a chip in the primary drive gear/ clutch outer ring gear causing a "chink" as they mesh

It could be an out of round crankshaft causing the flyhweel to contact the trigger coil assembly

It could be a crank main bearing with damage to the race surface causing a "whirring"

It could be loose reed stop screw letting that assembly flutter

It could be a bad wrist pin bearing allowing the piston to thrust.

It could be case damage contacting any part of the rotating mass inluding the balancer shaft.

It could be the balancer shaft gear rubber isolators completely falling apart to where the gear is making a bad clunk.

In other words, there are about 400 different reasons an engine could be making noise. There are two courses of action. Disassemble the engine until you find the source of the noise ORRRRRRRRR..........ride it til it blows and then figure out how to put humpty dumpty back together again.

Does it sound like a knock and can we get a video. Just had an issue with mine. Here is a video of it

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it could be a knock. To me its more of a rattle. Like I said Im new to these so its hard for me to say. Ill watch ur video later im at work now and the computer wont allow me to view it.

ah yes knocks..my favorite..you will never get to the botom of it unless you disasseble. if the bike is stock, id run it till it goes up in smoke, only if you have recently invested some big bucks would i strip it to check.

this is/was my engine knock, iv isolated it to the clutch boss slapping with the primary drive gear. so its not terminal as lash shouldnt cost me a top end. im in the process of getting a new bottom end.

Last edited by a moderator: