Engine dilemma

Carp47

Sep 6, 2017
I have a 99 frame with a 2002 engine on it. See (resurrecting from the grave thread) the engine runs but it’s is in pretty bad shape e.g.....blows a lot of white smoke, probably a leak from tranny to crankcase, tons of rvc holding top to bottom, case is broken where the shifter goes in, still shifts, LOL and everything was completely dry when I got it. My question is, and I’m pretty sure I already know the answer, but should I rebuild or get something else in better shape and rebuild it ? I’ll leave it up you guys with way more experience then myself.

sounds like you're going to need new cases along with the full rebuild, or find an engine that runs with good cases and use it until it's time to rebuild.
whats your budget ?

Don’t really have one, not to say I have a lot. Just want to get her trail worthy.

When buying cases are they suppose to be matching cases or can you mix and match cases?

Last edited:
Ok. I was told they were made in sets or when they machined them for bearings they were done as a set like putting the cases together and line boring them.