doo it yourself rear swing arm extension?

98mod

Feb 15, 2016
texas
I'm thinking of extending my rear swing arm myself I can weld pretty good with wire. I measured the rectangular tubeing and its measuring about 1"×2" if I cut it right I canextend it 2" and have around a 1/3 split on weight between welding points. I'm going to use the same rectangular tubeing but slide the cut ends inside the new pipe and take another piece or t he same tubeing going across the top where my stock shock location is notching it atthe ends making it flush to the edges. And two L angle pieces to top of that for my shock mount. Has anyone tried this and if so did you have any problems. Also how do you upload pics ?? I'd like to show my blueprint for refrance

i don't recommend it and most here don't either your better off buying a extended swing arm and not the eBay ones

Has anyone tried this and if so did you have any problems.

I've seen more of these home extended's break than have not.
I have 2 of them here, both extended as you want to, in the middle with 3/4" x 1-1/2" tubing inserted.
the 4"+ came on my spare, easy ridden, black blaster, it's cracked in numerous places.
the 3"+ I did in a pinch, with tubing inserted from end to end inside, on my personal blaster, it's cracked numerous places after only a few HARD rides.
the problem isn't your welds, it's the original stamped sheetmetal is not made to withstand the forces exerted by extending it < think.... 6 foot cheater pipe on a ratchet handle = way more leverage.

IF...you ride on groomed sand trails, or like my grandma......do it.
IF...you plan on riding hard, on an MX track, or jumping at all......pay your health and life insurance up to date.

we no longer allow the sale of these hacked together swingarms on here, as the 2 former "pro" builders of these had numerous failures and even one break on a 75lb. 9 year old.

time for steve best to chime in :)

how do you upload pics ?? I'd like to show my blueprint for refrance

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-post-pics-on-this-new-forum-layout.57951/

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/resizing-pics-for-uploading.58385/

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/posting-pics-from-phones.58877/

Get an lonestar there a bit pricey but ken at kenoconnorracing does grade a fabrication and makes the t rock swinger in any dimension and they are really nice http://www.kenoconnorracing.com/Yamaha Blaster Swing Arms.html

ken no longer makes swingarms as I know of, maybe I'm wrong ?

I have a used +3 ebay swinger thats lasted all last season ?
I now have a roundhouse (LSR ?) but have yet to install it.
the +3 will go on my black blaster to replace the cracked home brew.

Yea eBay swing arms are a make or break sometimes u get lucky and they don't crack and were built better than the others imo

Yea eBay swing arms are a make or break sometimes u get lucky and they don't crack and were built better than the others imo

they were having problems with them breaking a few years ago, and I'm assuming thats what I bought off of dualstroke ? as he had it for a few years himself before selling it to me.
but they have since upped their game and offer an HD version, that I have not heard of problems with yet.

IMG_20160217_192253_605_zpsnk1lccc7.jpg
Like everyone said the stock ext. swing arms will eventually break . It's just a matter of time . I want to get a new +2 or +3 myself and seen the ebay HD version . I have had a stock swinger extended 4 in. sitting on the shelf for the last 6 months...It looks great but I don't trust it . Anyone have anymore info on the HD ebay swinger ?

Few pics of mine

IMG_20160217_192141_269_zpsymf9goac.jpg
IMG_20160217_192432_451_zps9umyjdh6.jpg

Thanks for the insight. I'm hard on my blaster alot of throttle and sliding and exc. The round houses are nice but but I'll have to save for a while to get a high end one. Where did they crack at and if I got lucky and got one what length chain do I need I have been trying to find a longer chain only details I get are how many links.

I have a Tyson +4 and it looks identical the the Swingarmshop swing arms. Actually I think there are some of the Tyson swingarms on e bay now. I haven't had a problem with mine . I really don't hit jumps though but I do ride fairly hard at times..

Where can I find a extended chain and what length do I look for FOR +2 I currently don't know the stock lenght chains or how there measured by links or overall lenght with or without master link unhooked persay.

How do I upload pics which icon to use I'm doing all this of my phone. And when I post threads for example I posted one in exaust section about high temp header wrap that I installed today . I ask questions/ post in there specified areas correct.

Where can I find a extended chain and what length do I look for FOR +2 I currently don't know the stock lenght chains or how there measured by links or overall lenght with or without master link unhooked persay.

I've never measured or counted links, just buy a 120 link chain and cut to fit.
avoid the ebay colored chains for $20-30, unless you have an unlimited supply of the hard to find right side engine cases.
buy a good chain/sprockets and protect your investment !
new chain with used sprockets = worn out too soon, and vice versa. buy them as a set.

I've had good luck with these .....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JT-Sprockets-WPS-Gold-Chain-Kit-Yamaha-Blaster-200-1988-2006-/181500599287

How do I upload pics which icon to use I'm doing all this of my phone. And when I post threads for example I posted one in exaust section about high temp header wrap that I installed today . I ask questions/ post in there specified areas correct.

yes to posting in the correct subsections

uploading pics from phones, you must resize them first, download an app for that, I use "pic resizer lite" from the google play store and choose 640 x 480 size.
iphone should have an app too ?
here....
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/posting-pics-from-phones.58877/
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-post-pics-on-this-new-forum-layout.57951/

Sweet. I got a new set 12t front and 43t rear. But put the 40 back on it put the rpm and mover my shift points a little too far but I like the 12-40 ratio on 20x11-8. I did notice how it already started to stress the teeth point them out I'll pull them or not ride till I get a new good chain

MUCH GOOD STUFF SNIPPED

time for steve best to chime in :)

MORE GOOD STUFF SNIPPED

Glad to see you still remember me!

Been busy with new jobs and pulling people out of the woods.
Too busy in the past while, I have more time now. 3 Blasters of my own and Neil has 2 and 2 Banshees.
This is a great place, you do a very good job of moderating it. Ever check out the Banshee forum?
My KTM Blaster is still a terrifying presence, and I have a 240 BBK/stroker and a 2003 stocker.
Neil is running Joe's porting and a DT200 liquid cooled. Both very fast (Joe's is faster!).
Neil had a 4" aftermarket (Ebay?) swinger break. Luckily he had warning.
It was heavy as hell, but broke from twist.

I'm with AWK08, listen to him, read all the warnings.
I've had good luck with my extension, perhaps because it is modest and at the least stressed position, and maybe I am old enough to ride a bit on the soft side. I also don't run a wide axle or wheel spacers, putting less twisting load on the swing arm.

In the end, modifications can often come apart, and if it fails on a hard landing, you may get hurt.
Be careful out there.
Steve

full