Do i have to rejet for aftermarket reeds?

blasterowner

Jul 22, 2010
GA
Do i need to rejet my carb for aftermarket reeds like boyesen or vforce stuff like that my blasty is 100% stock.

yes you always rejet for things that modify airflow.....or almost any mod to the engine for that matter, id bump it up a size or 2 for reeds...

u dant even have to take the carb off just shut off the gas and loosen the clamp from the intake boot to the carb and twist the carb and take off the bowl easy as that

it takes 10 more seconds to unscrew the throttle cable.....and be able to hold it in your hand....but i guess that works too....

always check your jetting when making changes. a 2 stroke motor makes power how? COMBUSTION. Your trying to make more power by adding reeds. You are also taking apart a sealed joint between the carb and the exhaust so you should do a leak down test.

Sure there are a lot of people who Dont do leakdown tests and check jetting. And they are allmost always the ones bithcing that their bike wont start, doesn't run right or blew up.

always check your jetting when making changes. a 2 stroke motor makes power how? COMBUSTION. Your trying to make more power by adding reeds. You are also taking apart a sealed joint between the carb and the exhaust so you should do a leak down test.

Sure there are a lot of people who Dont do leakdown tests and check jetting. And they are allmost always the ones bithcing that their bike wont start, doesn't run right or blew up.

Leakdown Test??? How do i do that. And how do i check jetting? Im sorry guys im new to working on 2-strokes.

Leakdown Test??? How do i do that. And how do i check jetting? Im sorry guys im new to working on 2-strokes.

pm holeshotman. he sells leak down testers. he will give you instructions.
as for checking jetting, hold it Wide open through all gears on a long stretch of road. then as soon as you top out in 6th pull out the spark plug. it should be a cardboardish color.

if it is over heating (running lean) then it will be white. thats how you blow things up. by running lean. go up a few jet sizes

if the plug is black and oily, then your running rich. (to much gas) go down a few jet sizes.

jetting is very simple. twist the carb towards you and pull off the bottom part of it. (the bowl) there will be a big brass screw right in the middle.

reeds dont really do much for power.

but if you did get reeds a 240 main jet would be the best choice

pm holeshotman. he sells leak down testers. he will give you instructions.
as for checking jetting, hold it Wide open through all gears on a long stretch of road. then as soon as you top out in 6th pull out the spark plug. it should be a cardboardish color.

if it is over heating (running lean) then it will be white. thats how you blow things up. by running lean. go up a few jet sizes

if the plug is black and oily, then your running rich. (to much gas) go down a few jet sizes.

jetting is very simple. twist the carb towards you and pull off the bottom part of it. (the bowl) there will be a big brass screw right in the middle.

Folllowing that much advice will just get you into trouble. To correctly do a plug chop you need a fairly new plug. properly warm the bike, then ride the bike, choose the part of the throttle opening you want to check jetting, hold the throttle in that spot for a ways under moderate load (4th gear or higher)
then AT THE SAME TIME plull the clutch in and hit the kill switch. coat to a stop with the clutch in, pull the plug and look at the base of the insulator (deep down). it should be a tan/toast brown. white or grey is lean and needs to be richer, dark brown/black needs to be leaner.

The main jet (wide open throttle) is only a part of the jetting. pilot jet, air screw, needle length and taper and slide cutout all effect jetting. If you jet before you do a leak down test, you may be wasting your time and your motor.

I prefer and strongly recommned an EGT for jetting, much safer and much more accurate than plug chops

Folllowing that much advice will just get you into trouble. To correctly do a plug chop you need a fairly new plug. properly warm the bike, then ride the bike, choose the part of the throttle opening you want to check jetting, hold the throttle in that spot for a ways under moderate load (4th gear or higher)
then AT THE SAME TIME plull the clutch in and hit the kill switch. coat to a stop with the clutch in, pull the plug and look at the base of the insulator (deep down). it should be a tan/toast brown. white or grey is lean and needs to be richer, dark brown/black needs to be leaner.

The main jet (wide open throttle) is only a part of the jetting. pilot jet, air screw, needle length and taper and slide cutout all effect jetting. If you jet before you do a leak down test, you may be wasting your time and your motor.

I prefer and strongly recommned an EGT for jetting, much safer and much more accurate than plug chops

Whats an EGT? And how do i know what size jet i have in my carb now?

Exhaust gas temperature, a probe goes into your pipe and is read by a guage telling you temp, leaner is hotter, richer is cooler, pistons melt bout 1400 degrees. An EGT lets you jet very percisely. To compare plug chops and EGT's most of the people here plug chop, and only worry about main jets, you can jet pilot, needle and main with an EGT... accuracy... with an EGT you can be spot on to make the most power and be sfe, poor plug chopping is as accurate as playing pin the tail on the donkey. perfect jetting can pick up more than 15% power.