DMC Alien Exhaust

Slightly lean!!! Not what i want, I want slightly rich. No, no sputtering or anything, ran fine. I'm going to put the lid back on the airbox REALLY don't want any lean conditions. I have a few of those airbox lid mod thingys coming in the mail. Maybe if I put one or 2 in I will be somewhere on the barely rich side.

Slightly lean!!! Not what i want, I want slightly rich. No, no sputtering or anything, ran fine. I'm going to put the lid back on the airbox REALLY don't want any lean conditions. I have a few of those airbox lid mod thingys coming in the mail. Maybe if I put one or 2 in I will be somewhere on the barely rich side.
What's the temperature range where you live? Elevation?

1500 elevation and temperature range is really wide winter is usually 15-45 and summer 70-90. It does go further each way but those are typical numbers

Your best bet is to run a new plug for a full tank of gas. Then pop it out, take pics of the tip, and then now off the threads and see what the base looks like. That'll give you a full reading.

Just so happens I changed the plug at the same time I did everything else and I'm about half way through the tank already. I'll put up some pics soon.

OK so here it is, have a look. That's 1 tank of 32:1. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20170301_132332.jpg
    20170301_132332.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 321
  • 20170301_135648.jpg
    20170301_135648.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 286
Before you make the plug chop run it is important that the float level is correct, the idle is set
correctly and there are no air leaks in the system, otherwise the smoke ring may lie about the
AFR.
WHEN ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE CORRECT PROCEED WITH THE FOLLOWING.
Warm up motor to operating temp.
Fit new B8ES plug, ride WOT through the gears and hold WOT in 5th or 6th gear for 10 seconds,
or as long as you can safely.
Switch off the motor and pull in the clutch, apply brakes to come to a stop quickly.
Take the plug out and replace the old one for the ride home.
Carefully cut the threaded end off the plug to expose the insulator.
There should be a smoke ring of a cardboard or biscuit colour around the insulator.
If it is non existant or a very light colour, you are lean and require a larger main jet.
If it is a lot darker you are rich and may go down a size in main.
I prefer to run a little on the darker side, I may loose a little power but it is worth it for the peace
of mind that I won't need a rebuild so soon.

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-plug-chop-38674/

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/plug-chop-how-vid-48226/
This is a good to go plug.
2wr2fwo.jpg

This one is a little rich, but I would run it, I like to be on the safe side.
plug152mainmediumoi2.jpg

You have to get up a reasonable speed so that you can get the motor to pull strongly.
Then hold it Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for 10 secs or as long as you can.
The idea is not to get speed but to make it pull strong at full throttle to get onto the main jet circuit.
I find I can safely do it on a short run by applying the brakes some.

Your best bet is to run a new plug for a full tank of gas. Then pop it out, take pics of the tip, and then now off the threads and see what the base looks like. That'll give you a full reading.
His best bet is to do a proper plug chop run and then look at the plug...

Stick with the 32:1 as all info on BF regarding jetting is based on that ratio which is the preferred ratio for a Blaster.

I hope your kidding. If not, I'll bite.

Do you know for sure his bike runs best on 32:1? What if 40:1 has better results. What if he was running klotz or amsoil that recommends 50:1? Then what?

All jetting info given on this site is based on mods, elevation, temp ETC... Not based on oil ratio. Jetting is a science, and most riders will have different jets even with the same mods. I run 350's in my banshee, while my buddy runs 320's with almost same mods (I have K&N pods, he has UNI pods). Every bike is different. Every situation is different. No bike is going to run the same, or be jetted the same.

Last edited:
I hope your kidding. If not, I'll bite.

Do you know for sure his bike runs best on 32:1? What if 40:1 has better results. What if he was running klotz or amsoil that recommends 50:1? Then what?

All jetting info given on this site is based on mods, elevation, temp ETC... Not based on oil ratio. Jetting is a science, and most riders will have different jets even with the same mods. I run 350's in my banshee, while my buddy runs 320's with almost same mods (I have K&N pods, he has UNI pods). Every bike is different. Every situation is different. No bike is going to run the same, or be jetted the same.

Blaaster knows his stuff.
You can run Klotz or Amsoil or any 50:1 synthetic at 32:1 if you wish to do so.
Oil ratio is one of the factors in picking jet size.
If set up on 32:1 it will rich out slightly if switched to 50:1, no harm, but the other way could be.
Not arguing with you, you are right too.

Not arguing with you, you are right too.

That's what makes this forum great. I have nothing but respect for double A (Blaaster). He's obviously contributed more to this place then me as he's a supporting member. He's a smart fella for sure. He has his thoughts, I have mine. Do they differ some? Sure, but as we all know the world and this forum would be boring if we all stated the same thing.

When jetting advice is given on BF it is given based on a 32:1 oil ratio.

Of course there are other ratios that one can use, ( I myself run 25:1, but that requires different jetting).

It has been found that generally 32:1 has been the optimum ratio for riding Blasters recreationally., that's is why it is recommended..

I never mentioned that 32:1 would be a better ratio, ( I think that 25:1 is best for my style of riding and conditions), I merely mentioned that on BF it is the preferred method as jetting advice is given for that ratio.

You are correct that jetting information offered on BF is based on mods, elevation, temperature and humidity, but oil ratio has a say in the choice in the size of the jets.
I do believe that the technicians on BF, and many other members will offer jetting info based on an oil ratioof 32:1.

Unless the thread starter offers information that he uses a different oil ratio than 32:1 the jetting info will be based on 32:1...

Well I can't even read them :D
But I can see that I need to change one size for every 25* change and one size for every 2000' change.

Though I would probably go one size for 20* change once I got below freezing. As long as it runs good and doesn't blubber it's not too rich :cool:

Reactions: ProjectBlasturd
Well I can't even read them :D
But I can see that I need to change one size for every 25* change and one size for every 2000' change.

Though I would probably go one size for 20* change once I got below freezing. As long as it runs good and doesn't blubber it's not too rich :cool:
Mines running pretty good right now and it's about 27* outside. I' running a 320 main and my 32.5 pilot but my new 35 pilot should be here in s few days. Low to mid range is great but I had a slight stutter/bog at WOT. I adjusted the air screw and I'm about 2-2 1/4 turns out and it went away for the most part.

Mines running pretty good right now and it's about 27* outside. I' running a 320 main and my 32.5 pilot but my new 35 pilot should be here in s few days. Low to mid range is great but I had a slight stutter/bog at WOT. I adjusted the air screw and I'm about 2-2 1/4 turns out and it went away for the most part.
If you are 2-2 1/2 turns out on the air screw you will not need the 35 pilot as you are running at the top end of rich on the 32.5.

Reactions: ProjectBlasturd
If you are 2-2 1/2 turns out on the air screw you will not need the 35 pilot as you are running at the top end of rich on the 32.5.
Yeah but if I get the 35 then I don't have to run out the air screw so much correct? I SHOULD be able to run somewhere around 1.5-1.75 turns correct?