DIY Swingarm Extension

I was just kiding Im pretty sure it would be impossible to weld with a pentorch. I have a lincoln 180

lookin good bro !!!!!
you did although make me look when you said pentorch,
had to catch onto your sense of humor.
one look at that row of dimes you layed undid any doubts i had about a pen welder
nice welds bro, no grinding needed

and keep track of how many "tallboys" this job takes
thats an very important fact, hahaaaa

Reactions: WRE_Blaster
Welcome to the forum !! :D Nice how-to right out of the gate. I:I Model # of your welder? I really want to get a decent 220V gas mig, welds are sooo nice. All I have right now is a Tombstone and a little 90a wire welder that's not good for much but tacking and real light stuff. Little green for ya too !! I:I

Ok so I got to work on it for a few min today. One thing you should do different than I did is center the inside tubing that is for support ill get into why during this portion of the walk through. So my not so par steel company here didn't have the outside tubing I needed either, so I had to improvise. The stock swing arm is inch and a quarter by 2 inch. Closest thing I could find was inch and a half by 3 inch. Here's what I did chopped A 6 inch piece, and then cut one inch out of the middle.
View attachment 4944

Repeat on the other side
IMG_20111119_115707.jpg

This step is where it would look cleaner and take less blending if the inside tube was centered I had a pretty good buzz before I started yesterday and didnt think about the wall thickness of the wrap Im putting on it. With that being said it may be a tad higher on the top side of the extension nothing that cant be ground down. Pretty much just tack weld it once you line everything up.

IMG_20111119_122037.jpg

Another view of the tacked portion. I trimmed a small portion off the end of all of these portion so there would be a small gap that i can fill. it will allow a smooth transition when I blend everything, as well as help with strength. This way the wrap pieces will be attached to both the center tube and the original swingarm.
IMG_20111119_122106.jpg

Now just grind away till you get it to where you want. I started for a minute but didnt get to finish. Im gonna wake up before the baby and wife tomorrow and finish this part up. You guys start thinking of some cool sh*t to do a walk through on. Im thinking making it where I can use a round carrier thats what i did on my R6 Raptor.
IMG_20111119_164848.jpg