DIY Swingarm Extension

So Im gonna break this down barney style. It may take a few days because im in the Army, in the process of moving, have a 4 month old baby, and a hand full of other projects going on. Also if you guys want to see any other fab walk through let me know and I will put them on the to do list. This will be a 6in extension but with this method you can easily make as long or as short as you want.

First remove your swingarm
IMG_20111118_121034.jpg

Reactions: WRE_Blaster
damn bro, you got a plateful right now !!!!!

I just went to my local steel supply and had them cut me 2 1ft. pieces of rectangular tubing. they didn't have the exact size i wanted but its ok these are just gonna be for added strength.This next step is crucial crack open a tall boy since your done with the angle grinder. After you do a little work on your cold one just drop the tubes in the swing arm.
IMG_20111118_134424.jpg

Reactions: WRE_Blaster
goodpost.gif
I cant wait to see the rest. I'm sooooo glad someone posted pics of a stock swing arm stretch, I've got a couple of stockers I've been thinking about stretching forever but never got around to it and now hearing how full your plate is, I've got no excuses I:I

Oh, posting pics comes out better if you post them to photobucket.com first and paste the link in your post - pics come out full size. But of course with all you've got going on, the extra step might be a nuisance.

Last edited:
That was my stopping point here in the next day or so will put some bigger tubing around the extension and blend everything. Im gonna build a strut for it so i think i will leave the shock mount where it is. What do you guys think.

Problem with leaving the shock mount where it is (sounds like you mean where it is on the extension?) , you need a longer shock or you're gonna be sitting low. The YFZ450 shock is 3" longer (and a much better shock) and may take up some of the added length but you've just lengthened the base of your suspension triangle 6" and the hypotenuse (shock length) is now even longer. There's a thread on here you might wanna look at:
http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/suspension-geometry-101-a-11155/

Looks good, and you said you couldnt afford a welder. Well if you are wanting a low budget one a harbor freight flux core wire feed (mig style) welder works great for me. Would be perfect for anything you could want on a atv sized projects, just get used to cleaning up the welds leaves slag like a stick welder.

On the instructions it says dont use for long periods at a time, when i first got it and was just making practice passes for a few hours i never shut it off and it still worked fine with no over heating.

Ive been wanting to do this project for a long time and love you are doing a diy on it