DIY Crank Puller

Blaner

Your Friendly South African Ambassador
Mar 26, 2008
East London, South Africa
Well, i decided i needed a proper crank puller... this splitting cases without one is cave-man (african) style.

my dad whipped one up pretty fast and its proved extremely useful as I needed it to strip my spare motor, as well as my cousins motor where the casings got smashed by a snapped chain.

it is basically just a piece of channel iron! the holes are drilled the same distance apart as the threaded holes in the casings, the figures elude me at the moment. and of course a hole in the middle for the crank to fit through

Here we used 2 pieces of threaded rod with nuts underneath the channel iron to install a crank, so BOOM, it doubles as a puller and inserter :)

pretty simple, and very effective

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1789-1.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

i can see how it works as a inserter, but how does it work as a puller. just pm me wtih details thanks and great diy.

I've always used an automotive harmonic balancer puller. to separate the cases. theyre about 15 bucks at the local parts house.

that's pretty cool stuff though man! I bought the puller when I did mine

i can see how it works as a inserter, but how does it work as a puller. just pm me wtih details thanks and great diy.

Hi, well I actually designed the thing for pulling the crank and seperating the cases....

Sit the channel iron the same way down as you see in the pics on the post, but instead of using threaded rods, use bolts with the heads above the channel. Use the crank nut on the crank and tighten it.

Then tighten up the two outter bolts in turn (equally) so that you are pulling the casings up and leaving the crank behind!

You will need to add spacers to the bolts so that they do not run out of thread in the casings.

Its really simple and i cant help you with pics im afraid as im not at home for a while and do not have a intact motor that i can experiment on.

The principle is that of pressinbg on the crank and pulling on the casings at the same time, as opposed to the installing process where you pull on the crank and push on the casing...

i hope this helps, shout if you have more questions, best to just experiment and test it out

What's funny is that after I used a harmonicer balancer puller wit some bolts with a "T" welded on to pull it I saw this thread. I wasn't worried how to pull crank as I'm waiting for case to be welded X( , but hadn't thought of how to pull it yet. Yes, Ive done a couple different motors with the rubber mallet method (in and out :D) but thought I might want to move out of the cave man era I:I.

Basically reverse thrusters :D

basically you tighten the middle bolt and it starts pulling away the casing because you have the two outer bolt tight with a washer but not all the way down... tadaaahhhhh