Disk conversion front wheel mod

331dohc

Feb 13, 2012
i didnt see any threads on this so im posting one.
For those of us who have swapped the front brakes to the 03-06 disk brakes, you may have noticed the you cant flip the front wheels around to make the front wider since the valve stems will hit the caliper. here is the fix with pictures that took me about 15 min from start to finish.

Deflate the tire completely (i use a valve core remover, you can get them at wal-mart)
Break the bead on the side of the wheel that has the valve stem.
Pull the valve stem out of the wheel (i used pliers) discard it
Pull a new valve stem through the hole where the factory one goes, but put it in upside down (pull it through to the inside of the wheel...make sure you lightly lube the stem to ease installation)
Flip the wheel over to the other side and drill a pilot hole on the same edge the old stem was on (but on the other side)
Final drill the hole to .453" which is a 29/64 bit. this is the exact size the factory hole
Pull a new stem through the wheel from the inside out (install it properly)
Re-seat the bead and inflate...DONE!

i paid $5.00 (rounded up) at wal-mart for 4 new .453" Diameter valve stems

Attachments

• tire1.jpg
    tire1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 234
  • tire2.jpg
    tire2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 205
have some rep for the good write up!!!! that mod makes airing up the tires much easier than a valvestem on the inside, especially ones with disk brakes!

great first post btw!

I'll give some rep to for posting the proper drill bit size. This is what I planes on doing but have not got around to doing it yet. Knowing what size drill bit is a help.

well, as i mod this little blaster i plan on writing everything up...next on the menu is YFZ450 plastics and seat, banshee rear axle, +3 up 1 a-arms, plus 6 rear swingarm, and YZ400 engine. also fully homemade braided brake lines to fit the a-arms(cheaper than buying the expensive pre-made ones) thanks for the support!